Byrons Official Workshop Build Thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ventilation has been mentioned. My shed has no opening windows so it can get very hot/dusty at times. I purchased a wall mounted kitchen extractor fan from Wicks and this works very well. The coating of fine dust on the housing and blades leads me to believe it is worth using just to get the fine dust out of the building! I have mounted the fan as high as possible on the end wall and have fitted a vent at floor level at the other end of the "workshop". Well worth fitting, it soon clears the atmosphere.

Bob

i`m with johnboy on the sockets......my 10x8 has 10 double sockets and again as stated you invariably have to unplug something to use something else...(radio, kettle and phone, youve already lost 3 :shock: )
so my piece of advice is, put them in now and save yourself the hassle later (either constantly unplugging stuff, or trying to rewire more sockets later)
and can i say im pretty envious of your hangar, erm worshop :wink:
excellent watching it come to fruition.....keep us all posted..

Point taken about the sockets - i'll probably go for four doubles on each side, three doubles at the back and two at the front - that should cater for eveything I think, bearing in mind it's mostly a hand tool workshop.

I'm sitting here at 1.42am not being able to sleep, worried about putting the roof on. I'm more nervous about this part than any other part of the build so far. So nervous in fact, i'm still drawing up plans and going over my measurements again and again. I even had to have a quick peek out into the garden to check a few things - people must think i'm mad.

I intended to get up for an 8.00am start, but looks like i'll be staying up through the morning waiting to start, I have an ever growing to-do list. I really hope I can get the roof done today as we are due more rain over night and sunday.

Anyone else here listen to the overnight presenters on Talksport? I quite like James Whale and Ian Collins, but i'm listening to Mike Mendoza at the moment - bit of a bafoon but good entertainment, although i'm getting a little sick of the muslim issue.

Also, my fridge sounds like it's inhabited by Darth Vader..

I'm rambling like a mad man, i'm going to have a watch of the woodworking channel.

Stop worrying, Byron, it will be just fine :wink: Really enjoying reading about the progress of your workshop - your enthusiasm is quite inspiring. Hope the weather is good to you :wink:

Paul

Morning Byron, Hope you got some sleep. Just a quick point about the roof. I think you said you are using 12mm OSB and I am not sure about that taking your weight (no insult intended :D ) between the rafters. I think it will probably be OK but to be on the safe side keep your weight over the rafters.

Good luck today.

John

Might be worth doubling up the 2x4's round the door opening, both over the top and down the sides ?

I have a similar sized, commercially built shed that was here when we moved in and that was done to give extra strength and rigidity for hanging the doors and to stop the lintel sagging with the weight of the roof.

Looking great BB.

Cheers, Paul. :D

ByronBlack":58t06b12 said:
With regards the windows - I intend to make them all opening, 8 in total, four down the right hand side, two at the back, and two at the front either side of the door which will also be glazed. I'm going to use Polycarb to being with, and replace with better glass later down the line when the money situation is a little more healthier.

BB is it wise to put two windows at the back? I would be concerned about security, with your house backing onto the field. It's looking great by the way :wink:

Phil

Day 11 - I think

I managed to get a couple of hours sleep, and managed to get the tarps off and the insides dry in short order. After a bit of clearing up and organising, I was ready to go.

Luckily, before I started to cut any wood in anger, I had a visitor, a friendly northerner (Mel from the forum) who was kind to give me a little insight in how to do it properly. After a short masterclass and some ham rolls, Mel departed and left me to it.

I'm half-way done with the roof joists, should have the rest done in about another hour or so and then onto fitting the OSB and if time the felt.. it's going much better than I anticipated: Cheers Mel!!

Summary and photo's to follow.

i echo your worries about the roof Byron, I'm considering having a pro roofer finish mine.

hi byron B
hope all your worries about the roof dissappeared when we got talking . you did look a bit anxious thou :shock: and hope you wernt suffering from INFORMATION OVERLOAD by the time i left
cant wait to see some photos
hope your not to late posting them {now that youve got some stringer lights} you may feel like working all night :lol:

Wizer - You can do it!!!

If I can manage it after a bit of professional consultation, i'm sure you can, i'm a complete newbie when it comes to anything like this, and once explained it all fell into place.

Mel - I wasn't anxious - thats my normal expression while I take in and assimilate all the information :) It certainly wasn't overload, you have given me many new things to practice, and some good working methods!

On to the pics and the worded summary at the end!

1. Joists going in:
250725166_be20c2ae07.jpg

2. Different angle:
250725269_6152ee21bd.jpg

3. All the joists in and some OSB on - about 8pm
250725503_de26f48822.jpg

4. A shot from the inside.
250725576_3bfc259db7.jpg

Summary

So, how did I do it? Well, not in the way I thought I was going to - and even then I wasn't 100% sure what that was. But, with some help and guidance from Mel an elegant solution was presented.

A 6x2 wall place was fixed to the left wall. The small section of frame for right hand side wall was then put in to complete that wall. (ignore that if it doesn't make sense, it was a small job that needed finshing before the roof).

A 3 inch birsmouth was cut out of the joists and 3/4 degree angle was cut at both ends of the joist, this ensured that the back-end of the joists butted against the wall plate, whilest the other end of the joist dropped the three inches on the right wall - producing an elegent method with a 3inch slope.

The joists over-hang the front and right hands side by 6inches. On which will be fixed barge and facia boards. Soffits will also be fitted. This is to neaten it up and allow me to fix in some guttering to feed Tracey's water butt.

I managed to get all 11 joists in, and also 4 OSB boards up and fixed into position. Tomorrow will see me complete the sheeting and then the felting. After that it's just adding the trim and making it all neat.

Today was much better than anticipated and I got to meet a thoroughly decent forum member.

Again, my thanks to Mel ! :D :D

oh !!!!! good work
could`nt have done it better myself
throughout this thread you've shown an enthusiasm beyond comparison and inspired others to get their tools out , which cant be a bad thing
you keep thanking me :oops: :oops: all i can say is "dont " but keep the tea with 2 sugars coming :lol:
if anybody says you should have done it this way or that . please dont forget that it was saturday dinner time and byrons local merchants will have been closed .
also its his shed and hes doing it his way. i can feel a frank sinatra song coming on . :)
it was a pleasure to meet you and swmbo {still think thats a funny name for a woman } :lol: private joke
and thank you for the hospitality you both showed me , the kettle was never cold . good luck with the rest of the build
regards
mel

Cheers for the kind words mel.

Today is a day of rest, my back is really hurting today after lifting the OSB boards onto the roof (and the joists) so with the workshop safely tucked up in the tarps, i'm taking as an oppurtunity to take stock, get organised and relax for a bit.

I'm reading a very interesting book called 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova - its a very engrossing read!

gawd byron i am 3/4 through it engrossing is not my take it is
about as easy to read as corelli's mandolin :lol: :lol:

hope i get the point at the end.

be careful with your back, they are a pipper when you want to
do proper woodwork, and it has gone.

best wishes paul :wink:

Thanks paul!

I'm quite interested in history in general so i'm finding it quite fascinating with all the different locations, and I quite like the way the narrative is split into the three different time zones and the story is being told out in letters and dialogue between the father and daughter.

The only bit i've skipped so far were (apologies if this is a spoiler) the letters from one of the monks on the pilgramage to bulgaria - and there was some other historical accounts from that section of the book that I couldn't really get into, other than that I think it's great. Love the way the bloodline is developing.. anyway's, i'll leave that out of this thread for now, as I don't want to bore anyone with my fondness of books

A 3 inch birsmouth was cut out of the joists and 3/4 degree angle was cut at both ends of the joist, this ensured that the back-end of the joists butted against the wall plate, whilest the other end of the joist dropped the three inches on the right wall - producing an elegent method with a 3inch slope.

Hi Byron

I have to ask about the bird's mouth notch to wall joints on the right side of the shop. Is that construction detail complete or will there be more done to it later?

The reason I ask is because if it's intended to stay "as is", the 6 x 2, with the removal of the 3", is in effect a 2 x 2.5 along that side of the shop. A once in a hundred year winter with heavy wet snow, or a troupe of lady opera singers entertaining your wife's guests in the garden, at the end of the last note, will bring it down. The load will cause the 6 x 2 to split at the inside corner of the notch, running toward the center of the shed until breaking.

To stop such an occurrence you need to nail a 4 x 2 or 6 x 2 along the wall (tight to the joists) to help transfer the loads to the wall. While you're at it, to make the installation of the plastic vapor barrier complete later. Put a length of the plastic in the corner, extending about a foot on either side of the corner and then nail the ledge up. You can seal the sheets on the wall/ceiling at that stage, with acoustical sealant or whatever "snot in a caulking tube" your building suppliers sell for the purpose.

If in the future if anyone asks about the 2 x _ in the corner, just tell them "It's crown moulding."

If a 2 x _ ledge or some kind of joist hanger was planned for and has yet to be installed on the wall to support the inside corner of the joists, then excuse my concern. My remarks are not intended to be critical of your efforts, because I admire you for tackling a large project on your own without a bunch of local help. It would bug me to find out in a few years that the roof of your shed was failing, and I had a chance to prevent it, and didn't.

HI Inspector, I appreciate your concerns. But we have extremely small amounts of snow here that i'm very confident it will be fine.

Byron , don't dismiss the inspectors comments , i also noticed the notch and thought it was going to be sorted out later . A joist hanger around each joist would sort out any future problem and reinstate the 6X2 structure . It wouldn't cost alot and wont be seen , worth doing IMHO .

I had the same thought when I first saw the pictures, but was reluctant to trangress orders and comment.

Back