Byrons Official Workshop Build Thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cor give him some time to enjoy the hard work, before the worry starts :lol: :lol:

but you are right what with those open fields and obviously an old
roadway at the back to entrance the previous garage/pit

motion sensors, a bloody great light, and numerous locks are important.
especially the light.
paul :wink:

Freetochat":1ntakm0b said:
This my favourite security system. Works even when there's a power cut. :lol:

Don't be so sure. There was a brilliant series on BBC T/V called "Beat the Burglar" with Dominic some-one-or-other and an ex-burglar called Mike Fraser in which, with the owners agreement, Mike Fraser would burgle their house to show how easy it was. On a few occasions the owners would say they were not worried because they had a dog - some of them potentially quite vicious. In most cases he stole the dog as well :shock: :shock:

If you ever get a chance, and it's repeated, do watch the series - it's a real eye-opener :wink:

Paul

A cheap alarm will do the trick IMHO it will scare off any small time burglar . A pro burglar wont care what you have and will get around it so whats the point in spending loads of money .

Well Byron, wheres our daily update today? I am following this with baited breath mate. Keep up the good work, it is all worth it in the end. :wink:

Sunday is a day of rest mate, good enough for god, good enough for me ;-)

Tomorrow will see me cutting all the frame peices to length, tuesday will see me take delivery of the screws that I forgot to order earlier and the frames going together, after that it's a case of waiting for the cladding to arrive.

JFC wrote:
A cheap alarm will do the trick

Agreed - I paid about £28 for an alarm from Homebase. I also fitted a Chubb mortice lock on the door and as an additional measure I could have also fitted some wire panels on the inside of the double glazed units - saves the cost of wired DG units :shock: :shock: :shock: - Rob

Sounds like a good idea Rob, i'll bare that in mind.

Day 7

Ok, so work today is going to start by cutting all my frame pieces to length, should take most of the day.

I got a call back from the woodyard about the cladding, bad news, the longest length they can do is 5.1m but I need a minimum of 5.5m - any ideas on how to get round this, i don't really want a join or am I just going to have to accept it?

After advice from Jason a few months back I bought a £15 alarm from Homebase work well - make a noise but I went a little further. Put a llock in each side of the tilting door channel so the door does not move and replaced the door lock with a better one and finally

WorkshopView2.jpg

This is for the power tools - I figured they would not want to carry the heavy tools
Barry

Barry, like the idea - I was thinking of something on the same lines. I have a very large filing cabinet that I might use for the power tools, and I was thnking of installing it inside a strong wooden cabinet, and anchoring it the floor, the hand-tools will be probably be also locked away in some form of lockable cabinet.. plenty to think about!!

Ok, so after speaking to the woodman, i'm going to go for some joins on the shiplap, but in such a way that it's staggerd, so looks like part of the design, this has helped me reduce the wastage considerably, and the cladding has come out £110 cheaper than my first calculations, and there's a high chance it might get delivered on tuesday, so all hands to the pumps!!

Day 7 Summary

Didn't get a great deal done today, but managed to get one of the frames almost complete before I ran out of screws. Here's a pic of the frame standing up to give an idea of the head room:

246646343_858195e3f3.jpg

And from the side:

246646341_85278fd03c.jpg

Screwfix delivery just this minute arrived, which was annoying as we have just put the taupalin over the work and packed up for the night. However, I'm now equiped to get all the frames built tomorrow - purchased 700 screws so should be no worries about running out.

Cladding is due tomorrow aswell which is a nice bonus. And to help me put the cladding on, I purchased a Rexon compressor and air nailer/stapler kit, which has worked out about the same price as hiring a machine, and the benefit is I get to use the compressor for other uses - like spraying guitars etc...

Tomorrow so should see some fairly rapid development!

I engraved my post code onto all my power tool and then photo'd them onto the PC. I also took a photo of all my hand tools (planes etc) for security purposes, though I think that power tools would probably be what any casual tea leaf might be after - Rob

Day 8

Early start today, got the first frame from yesterday finished off, then the second side frame finished, and the rear frame is nearly done, just needs a couple rows of noggins and then onto the left-hand side frames.

Progress is much better today, the weather is cool with a light breeze, and it's dry. Cladding hasn't arrived yet, so i;m thinking it won't turn up till thursday, which is actually quite good as it gives me time to get all the frames finished and raised (bar the left-frame). It also gives me time to test out the new rexon compressor and nailgun kit.

Summary and photos to follow.

Day 8 Summary

All but one frame has be completed. No photos today as frames are flat on the base, not much of a photo.

Cladding arrived late this afternoon - very chuffed about that.

Tomorrow will see the completion of the last frame, cladding and painting of the left-hand frame, and hopefully cladding of the other frames.

Thursday will see the raising of the frames and the roof going on, any cladding and paiting that needs doing will also be done.

Friday will see the completion of the structure, lose ends tidied up, windows and doors temporary closed with sheeting until next pay day.

great thread byron cant wait to see end result. built my shed from timber frame and plastic coated contoured steel sheets. will be moving house at some point and will be looking to build another. can i be cheeky and ask what the cost of your shed is likely to be. my last shed was 6x3 metres and cost around £900 ,that was 4 yrs ago am i going to build similar for that money . and which is cheapest steel clad or timber clad?????

HI Lugo

Glad you enjoying the thread, it's certainly a good experience sharing the build with the forum.

As far as costs go, I would probably say that it's cost more than £900 and will probably go a little higher than that, and thats without costing in the vapour barrier, insulation and boarding out of the inside, or the costs of the doors, windows, electricity and security - all of which I'll have to do in the next couple of months as I need to wait a few more pay cheques!

Once i've finished this stage of the build (structure) I'll post a complete run down of costs, materials used and what I chose for what part of the job and why.

In terms of cladding, I used wood, and that was at £1.20 a meter and I've ordered over 280M of it, so thats where the biggest cost has gone, but thats for some nice tongue and groove shiplap.

Back