Byrons Official Workshop Build Thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Byron

Thank you for starting this fascinating topic. I admire your frankness and the responses from the group. This has been one of the most informative subjects I have followed on UKWorkshop.

Bob

Cheers BB that breathable membrane could be useful, allthough i'm not sure when i'd be able to get over to pick it up. Will let you know.

Hanging Doors!

I've ordered my doors from Wickes, and will be here in the next couple of weeks. I've never hung or installed a door in my life, and have no idea of hw to go about this, how the frame needs to be installed, how to fit locks and handles etc..

What i'm looking for then is a good online resource with tutorials, pictures, articles etc.. that sort of thing. I've not found much at the moment, and with finances tight, I cant buy a book from amazon either.

Help and Info greatly received.

I will also need to do more windows soon, so if there any links/sites that any of you know of for making them would be very useful too!

Roger & OLD - Thanks for links guys, much appreciated!

Day 18

Only had a few hours today, but decided to get going with the facia boards and soffits. I really wished I spent the extra money and had the boards planed, trying to run a 4m length through a small benchtop jointer is a real pain in the proverbial.

I took my handplane to the stuff in the end, didn't get a great finish, as the pine is more wooly than my favourite jumper :(

So, the boards were somewhat planed and cut to length, not having help made positioning the boards very difficult, but I managed it in the end. I'm sure swearing makes woodworking that little bit easier.

I need to address the facia board on the front - because of the slope of hte roof, the left-hand side doesnt overhang that side of the wall like the right hand side. I'm thinking of purchasing a piece of 8x1 and attaching that to the current 6x1 - should give a neater finish.

Photo's:

Front pieces attached and painted:
273220075_e1b85ebdd1.jpg

Facia board and soffit attached to the right hand side:
273220002_e4f5992f64.jpg

Summary

Tomorrow should see the end-caps going on for the back of the shed (where the two edges of the cladding meets). I'm also going to add some kick-boards (not sure what the real term is) to the bottom.

I'm also not happy with the right-hand side facia board. There is a small gap between the board and the top of the roofing sheets. So, I think what i'll do is make a small fillet with a moulded edge, and attach this ontop of the facia board to take up the gap, and provide a round-over to make rain easier to run into the guttering.

To do:
- Fix the final piece of cladding at the top of the left-hand wall.
- Make and attach a moulded fillet to take up the gap on the facia board.
- Install kick-boards
- Figure out a solution for the front facia board
- Fit facia board to the rear of the workshop.

Hopefully I can get most of that done tomorrow.

byron
sorry to point out the obvious
you need to keep the bottom edge of the board level and cut the top edge
to suit the pitch of the roof
have you left enough overhang on the roof sheets for the guttering to pick up the rainwater ?? {the photos not so clear }
mel

HI Mel

Despite it being the obvious thing to do with regards cutting the front facia board to match the pitch, I seemed to have easily overlooked that - doh!

There is a small overhang from the roofing sheets, but after sleeping on it, and looking at this morning, I don't think it's adequate. This is due to fitting the soffit board first and then attaching the facia to the soffit, rather than attaching the facia directly to the ends of the joists - basically, this was bourne out of laziness on my part.

Day 19

S**t, b******s, b*****r! Today has not been good. Got up nice and early to get started only to find a cat or a gang of cats have decided to use the workshop as a toilet - that was not fun clearing up.

Then I dropped a brand new box of nails, all over the floor and into the sawdust and shavings that I didn't clean up last night. And to top it all off, I realised all the work I did yesterday was utter rubbish and had to come down.

The front facia was clearly wrong - the facia and the soffit on the righthand side just looked shoody, and wasn't up to scratch interms of finish, or fitting, so that came down.

The next annoying thing to happen was the long piece of 3x1 I had for one of the corner pieces slipped out of my hand and cracked down the middle through a knot - it was my last piece.

I'm really peed off with this part of the build. I thought it was going to be enjoyable, but not being able to plane and install these long boards is starting to get me down a bit. Thats why I have decided to take it all down (facia's etc..) and start again.

My usual enthusiasm during this project is to get it finsihed. After the annoyances of today I think my enthusiasm has now changed into an enthusiasm to get it right.

I'll be begging, borrowing or stealing a handheld power planer to get the boards smooth, admitting defeat and asking my dad for some help, and ordering some more wood for the front facia (8x1) so that I can cut the pitch into it and get it looking right.

For now, i'm mostly digging our the rest of the drain-away in front of the workshop as i'm fed up of having a wobbly surface for the ladder.

Summary

GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

P.S Anyone who has a similar feeling about one of their projects, please read my signature below by Mr Churchill - keeps me going everytime.

Chin Up Byron, i have had more than a few of those days on my build. At least your nearly done and water tight.

When are you doing the doors and electric?

Hi Wizer

Doors will should be done in the next fortnight - just waiting till I get a weekend off from work to fit them, the electrics, not entire sure. My girlfriends dad is going to come over in a few weeks time to assess things, and he'll be doing my wiring and isntallation for me, a pal of his will then do the part p certificate as a favour to him - so atleast there is no headache for that one!

I think the most frustrating thing is not knowing exactly how to do something and realising that a day has been wasted, and that all the work that you thought you did has amounted to nothing, BUT atleast it was a day away from my mundane job and I can chalk it up to experience!

I have a new found respect for you Byron , you have entered into the land of that'll do wont do ! Even when it costs more money .
Nice one :wink:

Day 20 Update

I've now finished the facia-boards and finished off some more trim-work by adding a piece of cladding to very bottom of the workshop to stop any ingress of moisture - hard to explain, but it was a small job that needed doing.

All I need to do now is fit the soffits, and the doors - probably won't do that until next month now, I've got some poly stapled to the door opening to prevent the cats, badgers, foxes and small lost children from getting in.

No pictures at the moment as my SD card is broken - grr!

A question: I need some kind of filler/putty to fill in the knots, a few cracks and some gaps - it needs to go on easy and be paintable - can anyone recommend something? It's for the outside.

nice to see you back byron.

i would suggest that since you are going to have a painted finish,
use P38 or a similar car filler since it is designed to be used outside, and generally does not shrink.

paul :wink:

Barry Burgess":9pp12gt6 said:
Byron welcome back and thanks for taking the time to update us.
Barry
A Byron & WiZeR fan

Same here - have missed the daily updates :(

Andrew

HI guy's glad to know that you're still interested in the thread. Progress is quite slow at the moment due to the rain and my current finance situation, but that should change from next month where i'll be concentrating on getting the doors done and I might start making the windows.

In the meantime i'll be using the workshop for my first project - making a series of desks for the office that we are currently decorating. I'll probably make a table for the festool for this job as i've loads of timber left over, i'm thinking of making it 4'x6' with a couple of hinged wings to extend it to the full 8' so that I can rip and cross cut a full 8'x4' sheet.

Day 21

I decided to come out of hibernation for a short while and get some more work done on the workshop. I've been having issues with the Facia and Soffits, and in my last main update I decided to take down my first attempt and start again.

After Mel phoned me and gave me some excellent advise, I had another crack at it, this time doing it correctly. The results are much more satisfiying.

I've also fitted the doors - a major milestone for me as I was dreading this. My dad kindly fitted the first door and showed me how to do it. I was then able to go ahead and fit the second door.

Here are some pics:

The first door on, and the facia's:
303155348_05b9e80216.jpg

Both doors on, and new hasp fitted - very late now:
303155412_be7588a39b.jpg

Summary

It doesn't seem like i've done a lot from the photo's, but here is a list of what was done during this day:

- Fitted front and rear Facia boards - using 8x1 and scribing to roof line
- Fitted bottom piece of cladding to side and rear - requires painting
- Made a corner-cap for the rear (hides end-grain of cladding)
- Painted the first door (left one - looks messy around windows, but has a protective film to come off)
- Fitted the second door, it required a small fillet to fill a gap.
- Fitted the hasp
- Organised all my timber and generally tidied up.
- Rigged up some site-lights in the workshop (kindly donated to me by Mel)

This was all on top of having to deal with plumbers after the carpet fitter decided to put a nail in my radiator pipe in the office - oh and the office is now fully equiped. My desk project got cancelled, and desks were bought from (apologies for the swear word) Ikea - SWMBO's idea!!

All that is left for this stage of the build is a bit of painting, filling of a few holes/cracks and the fitting of soffits and guttering.

Next stage will be electrics and interior.

Name that workshop

I've decided to make a nice plaque (not sure if that is the right spelling) to go on the front to commemorate the building of this, and i'm open for idea's for the naming of this workshop. Fire away, any suggestios considered!

Oooh,now that looks a lot better :D (Paint makes it look great - nice colour!)

Are you going to do an "outfitting the workshop" thread as well ? [-o<

Andrew

Back