Buying Timber by the sq meter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking at some costs for materials I find this - 1 sq meter of 6 inch wide oak (why cant they stick to one flavour of measurement? ) costs £46.I presume the 6inch is width not thickness, they appear to make no mention of thickness as it goes. Am I right in thinking that this means that £45 = 6 x 1 meter boards at 6 inch width? Or in other words 6 meters worth in some fashion be it 3 x 2 meter lengths or whatever. Seems an odd way to work out costs, I still havent got the hang of this cubic / square feet meters and inches :(

Mike

I'm equally confused by your question.
The price of £46 is in the right ballpark for a cubic foot of oak. Cu. ft. would be the more usual measure in UK.
1 Cu ft in 6 inch planks would be 24 foot x 1 inch thick or 16 foot x1.5 inch thick etc

A cubic metre of wood would be between 0.5 and 1 tonne of material. More than most users would want at one sitting!

hth

Bob

Hi Bob
Thanks for youre reply I had a feelign something was a bit fishy about the numbers but those are definitly the figures from the price list. I think a telephone call is in order to clarify.

Cheers Mike

Definitely looks like a CuFt price to me. Cu M prices are in the £100s or £1000s. Multiply that number by 30 something and you would get the price per CuM. My suppler uses CuM pricing, or CuFt if I ask them

It's an odd way to price timber but I don't think you could say that it's a cu ft price as there are 10.56 sq ft to a square meter so the price would be about the same if it were 1" boards . 1 sq mtr of 1" = 0.88 cu ft

Who's price list is it, if on the web can you post a link? and are we talking sawn or PAR boards. I find it cheaper to by 22mm Flooring oak than 1" sawn boards, by the time I've planed & thicknessed it works out cheaper to rip off the T&G, you can also see what the finished wood will look like. The flooring is sold by the sq mtr.

Jason

Yes, the guy I get mine from keeps 22mm finished thickness ex 12, 10 & 8" boards in european oak, no grooves on the back He lets me sort what I want so very little waste. Also keeps upto 4" dry oak and will cut green to any size.

I used the flooring for all the oak in this kitchen except beams & dresser top. Also for the T&G in this& the next two pics. And this is a floorI did with it comes up darker with oil & a bit of stain

http://www.scottimber.co.uk/

Jason

Hi Jason the timber I was referring to is European Oak and is from a local reclamation yard, Im thinking that it's probably floorboards as you say hence the strange units for sale.

That sounds very likely. Just watch out for all those old nails & bits of grit :evil:

Jason

Two top tips in one thread! :D

Jasons flooring timber tip and Colins stud finder tip.

Thanks chaps - there's two examples of good ideas I'm very likely to use :)

Andrew

Back