Buying lumber in mainland Europe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillS99

Reaction score
Dear all!
I am looking to start this discussion, hopefully, to help everyone involved.
I am starting a renovation project in Slovenia (old barn) which is likely to take many years and perhaps some years off my live expectancy, but I am sure its worth it.

Slovenia has a massive wood supply industry and everyone seems to be selling some sort of sawn lumber from varying stages and quality.
They have a variety in their massive woodlands, some oak at lower levels, spruce, birch, pine + others.
Prices are very good with, sawn dried oak approx €500 per cubic m2. Which, if anyone can confirm the average uk price, is cheap.
Obviously, that could go up or down depending where i were to purchase from and the length of the cuts.

Anyway, I can't wait to get buying and building. But the thing I am also interested in, is the opportunity to be driving now and again from the Uk across France, Germany, italy, Austria and having Croatia and Hungary not too far away. Where is best for buying other types of hardwood? At a better price than in the Uk? I am really interested in Walnut. I can't seem to find any info on the best central european country to get good hard wood from. So if anyone can help, that would be great.
Besides, I'll be driving back with an empty van so can return with some material if the opportunity to cover fuel costs may be available!?! :)

Cheers!

W

Sounds an exciting venture,
Probably too far north for you, but Czech Republic and Slovakia have pretty well developed timber industries.
I know a couple of Slovak guys who bring a lorry over once a month. Mainly. oak as that is what people here seem to like most, but they can get sycamore, walnut etc.
Seems an easier way to make a living than to actually make things from wood.

I wish you every possible success, with with your barn build and your timber business idea.

The problem you'll find is separating the wheat from the chaff, the really top quality boards that furniture makers want are few and far between, but every one who fells a tree seems to think they've got the greatest piece of timber the world has ever seen!

I've made several long journeys to see Holly on the absolute promise that it's bright white, straight grained, and totally free from fungal blemish, only to arrive and find gnarly twisted boards shot through with green and blue streaks. You mention Walnut and that's a particularly problematic timber to source, European Walnut more so than Black Walnut. The vast majority of Walnut boards are just too sappy and wormy for furniture purposes, but that doesn't stop the timber owners claiming that it's "genuinely musical instrument or veneer quality"!

I'm from the North of Serbia. Over here they sell kiln dried wood (10-12%), price depending on length.
Quality-wise it's good stuff, as they don't bother drying lesser grade wood.
Ash, Oak 800-1200
Beech 400-600
SPF 300-400
Lime-wood 300.
(Euros per cubic meter)
Walnut, Cherry, Black Locust...are sold from time to time in smaller quantities and are priced similarly as Oak.
There is truth to what Custard says, particularly with Walnut.
Croatia has good Oak and you might find moderately priced lumber in Bosnia, also.

Plenty of Oak at bargain prices here in rural France as well as Douglas Fir but that's about it. If its something more exotic you're after its practically impossible to find.

Dex

On another note, Slovenia is a stunning country and has a lot going for it from the caves to lakes and (small) shore line. My wife and I drove round most of the country on holiday a while back with my 2 year old daughter.

Highly recommended as a holiday destination winter or summer.

I'm very jealous that you have such a project on your hands. If you ever need a hand.......

Sorry for late reply all. Thanks much for comments very helpful!
The purchase is going through so we will be making our first driving trip over in a few weeks.

phil.p":87cqfhp5 said:
There is a member of this forum you could contact who could give you endless continental sources of everything bigger, better and or cheaper than in this Country ... :lol:
Phil, are you potentially suggesting you may or may not be, that very guy, with some helpful tips!?
I'll drop you a PM to discuss!

Thanks again all, and as soon as I start parting with some cash i'll update with costs for a the knowledge base.

W

Back