buying hardwood in NW England

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tophat

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I'm just starting out and I'd be interested to know where other folk in the NW go for their wood, the 'find my local...' didn't throw up much and the net seems to be dominated by bigger companys selling high volumes to trade. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Hi tophat welcome to the forum. I'm still using little bits of stuff I have lying around, but I do know that a local tree feller air dries quite a lot of native hardwood. He will be my first port of call when I am looking again. Perhaps you might have someone similar around.

xy

Thanks for the warm welcome folks and the info, Brooks Timber looks really promising and they have a great site. Im in Bolton btw, just out of manchester. Anything more exotic than oak and you struggle round here!

Hi tophat

I haven't visited Brooks site in Skelmersdale but I went to their place in Nottingham a few weeks ago and was extremely impressed with the service I received. The chap that served me (Jim I think) was very helpful, showing me round the wood shed and explaining all the different species they sell. The guy definitely had a passion for wood.

I plan to visit their Skelmersdale site myself sometime soon and if my experience at Nottingham is anything to go by, then I should have another warm welcome and interesting experience.

I don't think they are very far from you so definitely worth a trip IMO

regards

Brian

Exactly the same in Skelmersdale, Brian, in my experience. Very friendly and professional. It can be a bit of a wait if you just turn up for a small amount but that's fair enough with a big company I think. They seem to have to fax payment details to their head office so cash helps expedite things. Quality and prices are good I have found.

You could try Hoghton Timber at Walton le Dale. Again, very helpful. British Hardwoods at Keighley isn't all that far. Also, someone just told me about a supplier in Grange over Sands, Knipe T Ltd., Sawmills, Church Road, Allithwaite, Grange-over-Sands and reports are good.

John

Hi Chris,

I've not used them yet, but have spoken to them on the phone and via email and they've been very helpful with enquiries, so maybe give Roger Haydock. Although I was going to order a fair bit, probably more than you are after, they were willing to deliver to me (25miles away) for free. So I imagine they will be able to do so for a price, or if they are going your way anytime soon, worth asking if it's a hassle transporting it.

Good luck with it. _Dan

Thanks Dan, thats just the sort of place i had in mind. Dozens of different timbers in all shapes and sizes, definately worth a look!

All the sugestions have been really helpful, but what puzzles me is that none of them showed up in numerous google searches i did using terms like 'Timber suppliers Lancashire' or 'Hardwood Merchants Manchester' etc.

Suppose it just goes to show that you cant beat local knowledge. :)

Interesting......

I'm going to be after a re-supply soon and those names were new to me - so I had a ring round for prices on 1 metre cube (36 ft3)

Knipe T : £41.87 + vat/ft3 - w/e French
Haydock: £38.80 + vat/ft3 - 1 s/e prime
Brooks: £33.90 + vat/ft3 - 2 s/e prime

Knipe's have lost the plot entirely.....Brooks is a good price, but I shall be staying with my current supplier - w/e at £27.60 inc' vat & delivery - a bit ratty and moth eaten in places, but still cheaper even taking that into account.

Chris.

Not a secret.....http://scawtonsawmill.vpweb.co.uk/default.html

Current prices are £23 + vat (£27.60 inc vat & delivery) for 27mm boards.

Supposedly QB1 grade - French kiln dried w/edge.

They have 10 ft3 pack and above, also 41mm,55mm and more. Drawbacks - there's been a lot of varied insects nibbling away at the bark and sapwood - some of them massive old beasties going about 5mm in diameter ! But they don't get into the heartwood. Some boards have splits and dead knots, some boards are absoloutely terrific with a really good figure. In the 80 ft3 I've had off them so far - nothing unusable.

Price includes delivery on a pallet that the driver can't get off the wagon - so if you don't have a forklift parked in the front garden and the driver's having an off day - you've got a lot of unloading to do.

Chris.

Cheers Chris, Sounds interesting, I've never got direct from a sawmill, I'll look them up @ some point as I'm not in need of any @ the moment.

Much appreciated for the link :D . _Dan.

Back