Buying from the classifieds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicknoxx

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm considering buying a table saw from someone [1] of this parish. He joined in 2008 and is still a 'newbie' user. He's in Scotland and I'm in Hereford so I'll have to get the saw shipped on a pallet. So how do people feel about sending several hundred pounds to a complete stranger and then hoping your item turns up?

Thanks
Nick

[1] No name given as I have no reason do distrust this particular person, in fact he seems very genuine from his emails
o

I think if it was me spending 'several' hundreds of pounds I'd be tempted to put the cost of shipping it on a pallet by courier towards getting there yourself. Either a hire van, bundle the wife in the passenger side and make a weekend of it or try get an estate car from somewhere. at least then you can see it, pay the man in his hand and take it back home with ya.

After all, set of at 6am on a Saturday morning from Hereford and you can be in Glasgow for just after lunch (with a few pee stops).

Where abouts in Scotland is it?

Could you not pay for it by credit card or paypal? At least that way if the saw doesn't turn up you have some protection.

I have just bought a 12" disc and belt sander (last week) from a chap on ebay who lives in Argyllshire and had it sent on a pallet.

I am originally from Scotland but to get to Argyll from here (cambs) would take best part of 12 hours (no benefit of motorway over that way) and with the weather the way it is at the minute I would advise heading that way unless you really need to. Let the courier take the strain, it will be cheaper that what it would cost on fuel/van hire etc.

Good luck which ever way you decide to go

+1 for PayPal or Credit Card payment, a lot more security if it all goes Pete Tong. Which I doubt it will, I've bought a table-saw, SCMS and pillar drill all through distance buying. Never had a problem.

I'd also list your item on shiply and see what quotes you get, I listed a TS a while ago and got quotes from £110-£70! Which at the lower end is VERY cheap. But you have to trust the courier as well as the seller then, again I've had no problems with anyone on there before, they all have feedback ratings in an Ebay stylee.

Good luck, I'm sure it'll be fine, Cheers_Dan :)

Nicknoxx":es1y4zvo said:
Hi all

I'm considering buying a table saw from someone [1] of this parish. He joined in 2008 and is still a 'newbie' user. He's in Scotland and I'm in Hereford so I'll have to get the saw shipped on a pallet. So how do people feel about sending several hundred pounds to a complete stranger and then hoping your item turns up?

Thanks
Nick

[1] No name given as I have no reason do distrust this particular person, in fact he seems very genuine from his emails
o

Could you get another member who's local(ish) to pop over and have a look for you?

Dibs

use paypal but use your credit card as the source.. Paypal does NOT protect you as much as you think it does (I got screwed for £20 on ebay and never saw it again).

That way you are protected by your credit card.

Nicknoxx":yo5si2xk said:
.....So how do people feel about sending several hundred pounds to a complete stranger and then hoping your item turns up?

People do it all the time on eBay. You've seen photos, I'm guessing and also spoken to him. Only you can be the judge as to integrity. Just because someone joined in 2008 but hasn't made many posts could be construed as a good thing !

To be honest, Hereford to Glasgow is a bloody long way! If it were me I'd pallet it.

EDIT: You do realise we're all now suddenly searching on 'glasgow' :wink:

Dont be so distrusting, most people are entirely genuine.

I have just bought a new wood lathe for £1100 I paid it straight into their account.
I had never heard of or met this person, I paid them the money 3 weeks ago and I am hoping to collect this weekend. (also from Scotland)

I had to trust this person, most people are trustworthy, don't let the dishonest few spoil your impression of the rest of the human race, speak to them on the phone, if you are a reasonable judge of charachter you should get an impression after a few minutes.

kasandrich":1qbe8wdw said:

I have just bought a new wood lathe for £1100 I paid it straight into their account.
I had never heard of or met this person, I paid them the money 3 weeks ago and I am hoping to collect this weekend. (also from Scotland)

very trusting of you rich - personally i'd have paid cash on collection if i was picking it up

it will probably be fine , but you'll be screwed if you get there and he says " lathe ? I'm not selling no lathe "

big soft moose":2y6j6idp said:
kasandrich":2y6j6idp said:

very trusting of you rich - personally i'd have paid cash on collection if i was picking it up

it will probably be fine , but you'll be screwed if you get there and he says " lathe ? I'm not selling no lathe "

...best way to get mugged ever, IMHO. I've heard a few tales of folk turning up with large wads of cash when buying cars/ machinery etc, and then someone flings their door open, roughs them up and gets the easiest £2000 or whatever in their life. At least if you do it any way electronically there is a record of it. I'd never go and pay cash on collection, unless it was under £100 quid. I think, as said above that most people are very trustworthy, especially people in the woodworking industry. But be wary if doing cash on collection.

_Dan

goldeneyedmonkey":1cc9h6g1 said:
big soft moose":1cc9h6g1 said:
kasandrich":1cc9h6g1 said:

...best way to get mugged ever, IMHO. I've heard a few tales of folk turning up with large wads of cash when buying cars/ machinery etc, and then someone flings their door open, roughs them up and gets the easiest £2000 or whatever in their life. At least if you do it any way electronically there is a record of it. I'd never go and pay cash on collection, unless it was under £100 quid. I think, as said above that most people are very trustworthy, especially people in the woodworking industry. But be wary if doing cash on collection.

_Dan

thats never worried me - anyone who tried it would get a doin for their trouble, particularly as i usually have a least one big hairy mate along to help shift stuff if i'm picking up machinery.

also they'd have to be pretty stupid to try a robbery like that , as you know their name and where they live - giving you the option of either the police or coming back team handed. I'd be more wary if they wanted to meet a third pary location like services or such.

Fair enough if you've got some muscle with you. But it's pretty easy to fake addresses and the like. And you're bang on the money when it comes to meeting them anywhere other than their home, never do that. I'm not saying there's loads of people out to get you, just that it's been known to happen in the past.

Good luck with your purchase anyway, I hope it's exactly what you want I'm sure it'll go fine.

-Dan.

goldeneyedmonkey":16q2kafy said:

_Dan

Yes - but they could just as well force your credit cards out of your pocket and the pin to go with it.

I certainly would do cash on collection, but as with all things you need to weigh it up. Collecting something from a sinkhole - I wouldn't bother full stop. Collecting something from a decent neighbourhood - cash on collection wouldn't bother me.

Sometimes it's the quickest to way to a purchase, but as long as you don't leave it on the roof of the car like that grandad! :roll:

Dibs

I bought a wadkin planer thiicknesser earlier this year on here from the other end of the country, I payed for it by cheque and then I arranged palletline to collect it a few days latter when the cheque had cleared. The deal went well and i was happy with the seller he did everything he said regarding palleting and collection.
The only problem was the base casting got cracked in transit and My electrician condemed the wiring so it needs completly rewiring. If i had seen it my self i would of not of payed the asking price

Don't just think because your paying through credit card/paypal that you are 100% safe.
If anything untoward were to happen and they did not agree/want to pay you they won't.
I've been in a case with tesco right up to the point were the finacial obusman sent them a letter telling them to sort it or else....
Tesco told him where to get off.
Then suddenly after 6 months of this, we get a letter saying its not tesco's(credit card) fault now its paypals.Result i got nothing back :evil:

Dear me, this is a depressing thread. Of course the seller might now be wondering about selling to a forum newbie too... #-o :wink:

Either you trust the seller, or you don't. If you don't, better to walk away IMO. fwiw, the only trouble I've ever had with a transaction was with a former mod - so forum status is not, unfortunately, any guarantee anyway.

Alf":kc1amw4u said:
, the only trouble I've ever had with a transaction was with a former mod -.

the moped with multiple mirrors and the huge parka should have told you he was a dodgy character - personally i prefer to buy from rockers

Back