Buying First Lathe...Are Old British Machines the way to go?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hartley

Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help another newbie to woodturning make the important decision regarding the purchase of a lathe.
Whilst I am not new to working with wood I have never turned it.
After looking at what is on offer out there I have a small list of potential candidates. Do I go for something second-hand and British built, Union Graduate, Wadkin BZL, (I have two Wadkin BAOS machines in my workshop so favour this maker), or equivalent Dominion machine. Or do I opt for a new Far Eastern made machine? I have been looking at the Axminster AT1628VS and Jet 3520B.
If I go the second hand route I can see the pros as…
A) initial purchase lower although I’d consider converting to variable speed at later date
B) solid British build quality
and the cons…
A) parts availability (but would that be an issue so long as you check all is well on purchase?)
B) the machines mentioned have the motors near the floor, longer belt, does this make running the machine rougher and more noisy?
C) New chucks may be an problem fitting to old machine
If I go the new Far Eastern route, the cons…
A) The luxury of variable speed
B) Motor close to spindle, is this an issue?
C) It’s brand new…
The cons…
A) Quality maybe poorer than the old British machines
B) More expensive
I am aware that other maker’s machines may be suggested but I don’t really want to make what to me appears to be a difficult decision worse. My max budget is ideally around the £2000 mark including variable speed option but I know the Jet machine will exceed this, (another question, is the Jet worth the extra £1100 over the Axminster machine?).
I have seen in the metal the two new machines and a Graduate but sadly other than photos not seen the Wadkin, (is it better than the Graduate?). I am also aware there is a bigger Wadkin, the RS suspect it is too big!
I would like to by an older British machine but are these new machines a better bet?
Sorry about the drawn out questions, but I want to get it right…
Hope you can help.
Derek

if i were buying again i would try and get Variable speed, i was unaware when i got my Graduate bowl lathe how much better it would be, to be honest i get a bit fed up messing with the belt so thinking of upgrading it to variable.

Get yourself a Union Graduate and fit a cheap inventor. That's what've I've got and I love it.

Parts and chucks, etc aren't a problem at all. I can highly recommend old solid British engineering!

Arundel J4. Best you can get. One went here for £25!.
Variable speed is nonsense, 3 speeds will do, 5 is luxury!

PS I sold my J4 and bought a Hegner HDB200XL been kicking myself ever since, what a bag of sh|te!! Sold it and bought a Record CL3 which was miles better than the Hegner but just not as refined as the Arundel

PS the big Union, Wadkins etc are another kettle of fish I know little about - except they go cheap on ebay esp if 3 phase.

Actually for a starter I'd recommend the Record CL3. 5 speeds is good enough for everything. It's much heavier than I though it would be and well put together. 2nd hand £100 - £200 but check that the spindle threads aren't knackered as they were on mine. Take a new faceplate with you to try for fit.
Some crude details - the tommy bars don't slide through so you have to pack them with washers to set them, if they foul against the other bits

phil.p":18jlef3r said:
"Variable speed is nonsense ..." Jacob

Most of Jacob's advice is sound. That bit isn't. :)
Well on the Hegner the speed was incredibly variable - inverter and 3 pulleys, but unfortunately it didn't gear down as it would with a gear box or pulleys alone. No torque - at slow speeds and a large bowl you could stop it dead with a deep cut.
I had visions of slow speed, high torque, big chippings flying over my shoulders, but it was not to be.
I'm quite happy with 5 speeds.

ts a well documented issue for inverters that as the speed of rotation decreases the torque decreases markedly. So the inverter maybe gives a slow speed of 50 rpm for a big chunk of wood but with no torgue so it is easy to stop the rotation with your chisel. Can be quite dangerous if the user is careless.

Inverters are a sound way to go but below 250 rpm are pretty useless to turn anything over a couple of inches thick. A challenge of technique over method.

If you have pulleys and an inverter the effectiveness of any range is down to the selection of pulley ratios so I would disagree that they are no good below any particular speed. I'm not sure why anyone would run the lathe as slow as 250rpm for a 2 inch spindle anyway? Also, a good inverter can be programmed to compensate for the torque loss at slow speeds.

As with any product, there are good and bad ones out there so it pays to do some research.

beech1948":d54ecraa said:
....Inverters are a sound way to go but below 250 rpm are pretty useless to turn anything over a couple of inches thick.

That is a bit too general a statement, a great deal is dependant upon the invertor used, motor HP and invertor parameter set up, the better ones, unfortunately not always the cheapest, go a long way to mitigating the low torque at low speed.

I would not like to deliberately try to load mine to the point of stoppage at 150 RPM, it would certainly be more tool load than I'd be comfortable with on a 300mm blank.

One would expect a combination of Invertor and pulley ratio selection to provide more than adequate torque, machines that don't I suspect are using the pulley ratio 'gearbox' to compensate for lower priced electronics and motor.

My lathe is old, British, and it is variable speed!

5CAAA22C-8729-4F6A-A678-46006D02E6CF-17071-00002A0F269A19E6.jpg

(sorry, that didn't help did it)

I'm also a Union Grad man, and delighted with it. Solid as a rock.

Spare parts are not a problem (always seems to be stuff on auction site), you can get just about anything from:
LRE Engineering

They also sell new / reconditioned Union Grad lathes, and I understand that their variable speed machines are considered one of the best available.

www.woodturninglathes.co.uk

So best of all worlds, and solid British built lathe, modern variable speed, spares easily available......not that you will need any!

I bought a secondhand machine and replaced the bearings and belt with new sealed for life high quality bearings rather than risk that they may have been damaged / belt having taken a set.

I'm a union graduate owner too ( not that you could guess from my name). Mine is a bowl lathe and came with an original sanding table. I bought an Axminster Evolution chuck with O'Donnell jaws which I use mainly. The chuck alone cost more than the lathe. For spindle turning I have just upgraded from my old Myford ML 8 to a Viceroy with 3 phase and variable speed (£300 from ebay including revolving tail centre and 3 jaw engineering chuck as well as faceplate and rests). Both graduate and Viceroy have 1 1/2" spindles taking 3MT centres - good and strong.

I have heard that the weak point in some far east imports is the electronics involved in the variable speed but I have no experience of them. Anyhow my 2 lathes plus the Axminster chuck and jaws cost less than £700 all in and the inverter cost under £300 but I already had that for my milling machine etc.

I wouldn't change my set up for any Jet lathe.

K

CHJ,

Your message points out more than mine the complexity of using an inverter. Speed, motor, HP, weight of turned material etc.

I deliberately kept it simpler because the OP seemed to be at a beginner level.

I was also stung to send the message by the person above me who wrote "inverter + something" is the best. I strongly disagree with that advice.

Your most telling point however is not technical but economic. Most inverter buyers who are hobbyists will go for the cheapest far eastern device and not the best performing but more expensive device. Thus damning themselves to a low performance at low revs.

My choice would be a Euro built inverter but the costs are over £500 against a cheapy far eastern device at say £120 ish.

there are a plethora of secondhand 3 phase motors that would run happily on an inverter, giving both torque and variable speed for a few hundred pounds a solidly built union graduate is well within your budget and often come up on fleabay. If you are not in a rush and want a decently engineered machine then wait for one. if you cannot wait to get started buy an old Coronet major and use it whilst awaiting your dream machine, the Major will not lose you any money when you come to sell it and may even make you a profit.

As a matter of intetest there is a Viceroy on ebay at the moment, complete with 2 chucks and over 30 chisels for £595 or offers. I'm not suggesting you go for it but it might be worth looking at the listing to give you an idea. Item number 26230 4411366.
Just one point about the Viceroy - the spindle threads are not common. Inboard is 1 1/2 x 8, same as South Bend metal lathes. Outboard is a wierd 1 1/4 x 9 and I have never seen this anywhere else. I am going to have to cut the thread myself to make an adaptor to suit my Evolution chuck as I don't have an outboard faceplate for mine. Fortunately the one on ebay already has an outboard faceplate.

Just a few points on inverters. I agree with previous comments on cheap far east imports - get a quality one. Mine cost £300 for a 3HP gersion and is British made with telephone support (knowledgeable support too). Low revs can mean low torque but it also means a slow speed of rotation of the cooling fan. Try to keep the motor speed up and use the pulleys as necessary to achieve this. You still get variable speed but there will be some pulley changing.

The final point is you must avoid damp and dust getting at the inverter so either get an IP65 casing model (quite a bit more expensve but you might not need 3 HP so could cut the cost there), or make your own enclosure whch is what I did.

Edid - gersion? I meant version.
K

Jacob":2nppqsoo said:
Actually for a starter I'd recommend the Record C3. 5 speeds is good enough for everything. It's much heavier than I though it would be and well put together. 2nd hand £100 - £200 but check that the spindle threads aren't knacked as they were on mine. Take a new faceplate with you to try for fit.
Some crude details - the tommy bars don't slide through so you have to pack them with washers to set them, if they foul against the other bits
Just realised - you don't need washers - you can just loosen them off and turn the nut by a facet or two to set the tommy bars where you want (within 60º), so that's OK.
It's a better lathe than I expected and I'd recommend them. And cheap second hand.

There are three potential draw-backs to buying old - British or not...

None of them are show-stoppers but have consequences that might not be obvious at first glance.

The first and foremost is that of trying to find accessories to fit the spindle thread. It may be that you restrict yourself to Sorby or the Versachuck for anything that will fit. It might be a BSW thread or an unusual metric thread (Tyme). It might be possible to get a new spindle made for your lathe but this will cost.

The second potential drawback is solvable but remember that for maximum comfort you may want to raise the lathe so that the centre-height is near elbow height. If you're tall like me, raising and levelling a couple of cwts of cast iron lathe may not be as easy as you think.

The third is that many old lathes were designed as spindle turning lathes rather than for bowl or chuck-based work (e.g. Long bed Graduate or Jubilee). They therefore have a pretty small over bed capacity and you need to resort to outboard turning for anything over that. It's worth remembering that this has the item turning the opposite way to a swivel headed lathe or conventional bowl lathe. Fitting a EVS system won't solve this in all cases either as the chuck can unscrew if you turn the lathe in the wrong direction (unless you have set screws holding the chuck on to the spindle).

HTH
Jon

Back