Buying clear hose by the metre?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvddvd

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just bought 7mts of 102mm clear plastic hose for my dust extraction from an ebay seller.

When I recieved the hose it measured 4.4m. The seller after I enquired about the short length told me 7 meters is when you pull it at its maximum. Which with it been 102mm takes a lot of pulling and you would never use it like that..
is this normal?

Yes I re read the description and it does say, 7m when taut.
So how do you know how much to order as it takes a lot of pulling power to pull it to 7m

So how do you know how much to order as it takes a lot of pulling power to pull it to 7m
The other thing to watch is that the prices aren't linearly related to length, possibly because of shipping. Iirc there's a sweet spot around 8m

Seller is a chancer describing it like that. Quick eBay search shows majority of sellers just describe it as Xm of hose. One or two do indeed describe it as
"***PLEASE NOTE WHEN PURCHASING, THE FLEXIBLE DUCTING IS TAUT WHEN CUT INTO YOUR REQUIRED SIZE***" which I think is wrong, maybe not directly misleading, but certainly iffy. Who uses it stretched to it''s limit?
Hope he doesn't sell elastic.....

Here's one listing:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22467282...6qlC6L0t/A9sPvnGK8RRGUE5HQ==|tkp:BFBMiIPGieRi

yes that's the one I bought from.
I just assumed it was 7m in the unstretched state. I'd measured how much I needed for 3 machines and started fitting and cutting then realised that there was only enough for 2 machines

Seller is a chancer describing it like that...

That is your opinion. You quote from the listing that which reinforces your argument. Your sample size of one is also not the best basis on which to form an opinion.

In particular, you have omitted the part of the listing that says "axially compressible about (5:1)". If it is compressible by 5:1 and he received 4.4m compressed, you can do the maths yourself to work out the theroetical expanded length - and it is considerably in excess of 7m.

Note also that Rutlands claim 6:1 (and 7:1) for the same product (Stretch Dust Hoses | Next Day Delivery).

You could call some of the other mainstream suppliers and see what they have to say on the issue. That way, a more rounded viewpoint might be obtained.

If you had a piece of the hose, you could even make a rough measurement of its expansibility. Start with the coil of wire touching, measure the centre to centre distance of two adjacent wires. Then pull to a reasonable stretch and measure the same distance. Only if the second number is less than five times the first would you have some disagreement with the written description.

Ideally, you would want to utilise it in its reasonably expanded state. The tighter it is, the smoother and more efficient the airflow will be through it.
Not necessarily stretched to its absolute maximum, but I think it's a matter of interpretation as to just how "taut" is taut...?

I buy and often use short lengths of the thinner walled flexi ducting for kitchen extraction systems, keeping the overall length as short as possible to give the most efficient airflow. Admittedly, these are fixed installations where working flexibility is not an issue.
I tend to buy it in long 10mtr lengths and cut it accordingly to suit each job......It comes in a cardboard box about 450mm long.
I certainly wouldn't expect it in a box 10mtrs long...!

With it been 100mm hose it does take some pulling to get it to its full length. So not usable at that length. Maybe if they give 2 measurements it would help when deciding how much you would need

Apart fro your dissatisfaction with the description. Did you win the lottery or something?

about 20 yrs ago I asked the guy I bought the saw off, if he could supply me with 3m of that stuff.

He duly dropped it off a few days later and I fitted it. Great stuff.

Only when I got my monthly invoice did I almost pass out.

If I hadn't already used it, I'd have sent it back.

That is your opinion. You quote from the listing that which reinforces your argument. Your sample size of one is also not the best basis on which to form an opinion.

In particular, you have omitted the part of the listing that says "axially compressible about (5:1)". If it is compressible by 5:1 and he received 4.4m compressed, you can do the maths yourself to work out the theroetical expanded length - and it is considerably in excess of 7m.

Note also that Rutlands claim 6:1 (and 7:1) for the same product (Stretch Dust Hoses | Next Day Delivery).

You could call some of the other mainstream suppliers and see what they have to say on the issue. That way, a more rounded viewpoint might be obtained.

If you had a piece of the hose, you could even make a rough measurement of its expansibility. Start with the coil of wire touching, measure the centre to centre distance of two adjacent wires. Then pull to a reasonable stretch and measure the same distance. Only if the second number is less than five times the first would you have some disagreement with the written description.
Sigh....

To my knowledge the listing is similar to other companies - they sell by taut length. Annoying but common practice.

Like with purchasing timber I would always buy a little over the required taut length.

Please consider whether the 'Staff member' and 'Moderator' written under your name come with any responsibilities. In particular, do you feel that calling someone a 'chancer' is commensurate with those labels?

Please consider whether the 'Staff member' and 'Moderator' written under your name come with any responsibilities. In particular, do you feel that calling someone a 'chancer' is commensurate with those labels?
“No”
”Yes”

Last edited:
Back