Buying and preparing logs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnicycleBloke

Established Member
Reaction score
My stepfather has told me, rather subtly I thought, not to buy a chainsaw before Christmas.

There's a big pile of logs at a nearby landscaping company, but I haven't managed to get them on the blower yet. In any case, I've been warned off logs due to issues with splitting, etc. It seems to me that working with natural materials involves inherent uncertainties, and that's part of the charm.

I'm certainly interested in finding cheaper supplies of wood and preparing my own blanks, and would be interested in any advice you guys can offer.

Al

Buy the safety gear before switching the chainsaw on !

Have a look here - http://craobhcuigdeag.org/?page_id=31

There is doc called ""bowl blank from logs" - which shows orientation to cut for differing results - I have it on the wall next to my bandsaw.

Tree surgeons, farmers, gardeners, hedgerows, Freecycle. all good sources. If you get the word out amongst friends and relatives it's surprising how often you will be asked if a wood is any good for turning. So far the only woods that I have found pretty much only good for the fire are buddleia and some of the pines. Leylandii surprisingly is a nice wood to turn and there's usually a fair bit of that. A lot depends on the sort of thing that you want to make. If you are going the route of Mark and the Georges you will need decent quality wood but at the end of the day start with a piece of wood and ask yourself what you can make from it, not think of something to make and try and get the wood.

pete

I have to admit that I am looking forward to next Monday morning when we get our delivery of 2 stêre (cub metres) of chêne vert (white oak) and 2 of beech. I have always got loads of good wood from previous years!

Several of our neighbours asked if I would like some cherry or oak or something else that has been sat in a corner of the garden and it is a great source of lovely wood.

Just let your neighbours know what you do and if they give you some wood then just ensure that the first piece that you turn, something small, is for them. I will cost you a little time and buy you the world in their eyes.

Edit : - Nearly forgot. Let the bit of wood tell you what it wants to be and don't try to make a silk purse from a pigs ear. Silly, but very true.

Unless you have a piece that you have been asked to make and you take time to select the wood for the piece then just let the wood guide you. Whatever it is you are making will turn out so much more natural.

Free wood is always attractive!

Search this forum (use the search facility above) for info/tips on preparing green wood and logs as this topic has been covered many (many many!) times.....and as you rightly suspect be prepared for some of it to split long before you get in on the lathe!

Back