Buying advice for bench top bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLC

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the site but found it very informative.

I am looking to buy my first bandsaw to cut some boxmakers timber from larger stock (for jewelry boxes). I need something that will cut 100mm straight.

For cost reasons I am looking for a De Walt 3501, unless a cheap Inca 260 or similar comes along. But Im not sure if these models will cut square at 100mm. only used large saws in the past.

So the question is, anyone got advice on what to look for in a bench top and does anyone have something like this for sale?

Cheers,

Matt

Well with the right blade properly set up the DW will cut 100mm. I think, IIRC, that it has 150mm under the guard but you are asking a lot of such a small saw.
In particular the table size is not very big, so if you are starting with large timbers (you don't say how large) you might find the lack of support problematic.
The other thing with that saw is that, unless they have changed the fence design since I had one, there is no adjustment on the fence, so you have to get the tracking spot on to eliminate drift. That's the best way to do it anyway, but many people cheat by twisting the fence. You won't have that option.
S

I would like to suggest that in addition to taking Steves advise on this, you buy his bandsaw DVDs!
I have watched mine probably 3 times before i owned a bandsaw and now i will be watching it again when i start sorting out my small Inca.

Thanks Steve and Henning, Great advice.

I only want to resaw small lengths for jewelry boxes, so no longer than 500mm.

From reading the forums it seems that a combo of your dvds and a good Tuff saw blades make life easier, especially on small watt motors so I'll invest in a good blade and Dvd once I snag a saw off Ebay.

Thanks again for the advice!

Matt

Back