Butter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't know how/why you guys think Sourdough is difficult :)

My wife teaches Sourdough baking, and we have our own starter at home - mine has only ever died once in the last three years. I keep it in a regular jar with a loose fitting lid.

Perhaps it's some misunderstanding? The only time a starter is no good, is when it has mould on it - white fluffy mold like on cheese, the mould might sometimes have a colour.
If it has a brown liquid on the surface - that is fine, it's 'hooching' and needs more feeding (i.e. just add some flour). Whenever it hooches, feed it. Keep your starter in the fridge to slow down fermentation. If you end up with too much starter, cook with some of it. The more volume of starter you have, the more you need to feed it, so it's best to keep it small.

If you have a strong smell, it's usually fine - strong yeasty, alcoholic, or sour smells are fine. As it matures, the smell subsides...

I can ask my wife if you have any specific questions...

I've followed instructions from half a dozen different sources including the the ones with the two commercial starters (One an Andrew Whiteley, the other a San Francisco) and got nowhere. Smell alcoholic or yeasty? You jest with me. Just putrid. :D The two I bought showed no sign of fermenting after several weeks. I shall try again when the weather warms, but I hold out little hope.

I don't think it's hard. I edited my post so as not to upset Phil.P.

My brother-in-law, who was for a time the President of the American Guild of Bakers(or some such), can talk for four and a half days non-stop about sourdough, if you let him. Sometimes, I pretend to understand parts of what he is saying, just because I love him.

John Brown":2jeytlzi said:
Sourdough starter is really hard, impossible, in fact.
Whatever you do, it ends up as a foul smelling black mess.

This is called "Hooch" an is a major indicator that you are under feeding your starter. Drain it off and scoop out any dis-coloured parts. half your starter and using a 1:1::1 mix of starter/flour/water, remix and continue and you should be fine. REMEMBER use the same type of flour when you feed so if you start with x keep using x

hth

phil.p":youjcitk said:
I've followed instructions from half a dozen different sources including the the ones with the two commercial starters (One an Andrew Whiteley, the other a San Francisco) and got nowhere. Smell alcoholic or yeasty? You jest with me. Just putrid. :D The two I bought showed no sign of fermenting after several weeks. I shall try again when the weather warms, but I hold out little hope.

Hi Phil - you don;t need to buy any starter - just make your own! Add flour and water, and take it from there.
Having someone give you some starter is a nice shortcut to a mature starter, but you can just make your own, and it will use the bacteria in your local environment...

Droogs":a6url6mp said:
John Brown":a6url6mp said:

This is called "Hooch" an is a major indicator that you are under feeding your starter. Drain it off and scoop out any dis-coloured parts. half your starter and using a 1:1::1 mix of starter/flour/water, remix and continue and you should be fine. REMEMBER use the same type of flour when you feed so if you start with x keep using x

hth

+1

(Although I have used different flours to feed it, and I have sometimes not drained the hooch... I'm sure there are lots of different opinions on this, but this is my experience)

John Brown":cwknf5sq said:
Nobody has ever produced a loaf of bread using sourdough, it's a giant conspiracy theory, like the moon landing.
Chorleywood process is the only true way!

Ho ho. You are a wag. :roll:

Don't know anything about sourdough or it's starter. But I do know that freshly made butter tastes superb on freshly made rolls first thing in the morning, But we did it with a twist, In the middle of a field in a totally medieval authentic way!

Attachments

• th[3].jpg
    th[3].jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 314
I do believe that you will find that not of all any countries butter is bland just as not all is good. But as they say "generalisations are always wrong".

I once heard say, on a Radio 4 programme that the speaker knew why Siansbury's existed, that it was to keep the riff raff out of Waitrose.

By the way we normally shop in Waitrose 8) 8) 8)

Jonzjob":1m8uqboc said:
I do believe that you will find that not of all any countries butter is bland just as not all is good. But as they say "generalisations are always wrong".

I once heard say, on a Radio 4 programme that the speaker knew why Siansbury's existed, that it was to keep the riff raff out of Waitrose.

By the way we normally shop in Waitrose 8) 8) 8)

I think if you read my post again you will find I said "the bland French stuff". I know they also have tasty butter just as some of their cheeses are bland and some are tasty. :)
p.s. Is Siansbury's a Welsh shop?

Not at all. I've been given some soughdough starter. 13 years old, so no pressure then.
I've currently eating a loaf of 75% spelt, 25% rye, dried yeast and it is not upsetting my biorhythms, so we'll see if the soughdough can get me back onto wheat.

thanks to Steves earlier post, this
20190427_132449.jpg

turned into this
20190427_132536.jpg

it took about twenty minutes churning in the kenwood and because I was called away to the phone ,and didnt keep my eye on the mixer when the buttermilk and butter separated we ended up with the buttermilk on the worktop, the floor,in the mixer!! as the butter was going round in the mixer it was sloshing the buttermilk out .butter is nice though(bit more salt next time) and because the cream was on offer in Lidl (yes the price sticker on the lid is correct!) it worked out nice and cheap. both the containers of butter are about 10oz

Attachments

• 20190427_132449.jpg
    20190427_132449.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 20190427_132536.jpg
    20190427_132536.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 221
Back