Burrs & Bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpt

Established Member
Reaction score
I have not posted anything for a while as I have been mainly doing boring old production work but over the last couple of weeks I have had some play time.

Burr Oak clock 13" wide x 14" tall 120mm clock from Meantime
850.jpg

This one is a bit different it is Burr Elm 16" wide x 8" tall with a 120mm clock from Meantime.

Picture 1
851.jpg

If you want to you can take the clock out and turn the wood around put the clock back in and you get clock 2
851b.jpg

Had a play with a few bowls

Spalted beech 13 1/2" x 5 1/2"
847.jpg

This one was cored from the bowl above 9" x 3"
848.jpg

Burr Elm 11 1/2" x 3 1/2"
852.jpg

Purple Heart 10" x 3"
853.jpg

All finished with sanding sealer and wax.

All comments welcome.

john

All look like relaxing and enjoyable projects, the Burr Elm Bowl and the duel presentation clock solution strike home with me.

I particularly like the burr elm, looks like a lovely bit of wood, although I daresay it was probably a little tricky to tool?

Are you going to do anything to that purpleheart bowl to stop it turning back to brown?

Some lovely pieces there John, bet that one in the second pic that you marked picture 1 (??) was a so an so to get even on the lathe, must be bolted down well :lol:
Steve

Thank you all.

They were fun and relaxing, mostly, to do.

Sharp tools and spinning at a scary speed makes them easier to turn.

I dont put anything on the purple Heart as I find if you get the good stuff from Bolivia it doesn't fade very much over the years. If it does start to fade I tell customers to put it away in a dark place with no natural light, like a cupboard for a couple of months and then put it back in natural light. I have a piece I turned 7 years ago and it still comes back to the same rich colour.

john

Very nice clock mounts.
How do you get the shine on the knobbly bits (=reverse side of the oak?)

All very nice work, My fav is the Burr Oak wall clock.

Thank you all for the comments.

No copyright on them Paul I am sure something similar has been done at sometime before. :lol:

john

Back