Burnisher vs screwdriver???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a proper Kirschen burnisher and the Veritas burnisher and I much prefer the Veritas. Works well for me.

Here is a burnisher that works pretty well. Just pop it in an apron pocket and pull it out when needed ...

attachment.jpg

OK, my favourite burnisher is one I made out a 3/16" (I think) carbide rod. This is light and allows a rather more delicate application than the one above. The carbide is hard and does not wear.

Here it is (lower item) together with a larger Crown burnisher ...

Burnishers-carbideandCrown.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wizer,

would that be the variable burnisher from Veritas? If so is it worth while? Has anyone else tried this tool?

Eoin

PS I like the proportions of your Burnisher Derek. Looks a lot more usable.

PPS: From the second picture of course.

yep, this thing

510438_xl.jpg

I'm getting better, more consistent results using it. It just works and that's what I want.

Hmmm, i was looking at my kitchen widow this morning, a little distracted, when I began to feel a little knot in my tummy. Slowly I began to realise that this disconcerting feeling wasn't a minor heart attack but the onset of some form of enlightenment!!!

I was looking at my knife block, particularly the top left corner where the 'steel' was. Suddenly it seemed so obvious.

Is this a burnisher?

I'm still a little doubtful but it seems to fit the bill...

A knife steel as a burnisher? ..... !!

Sure .. if you want to gouge interesting scratches all over the surface of your boards.

Think s-m-o-o-o-o-t-h

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi,

I have polished my burnishers and I do find they work better. Chuck them up in your pillar drill to save time.

Pete

I use solid TCT cutters like the one in the larger of these Bahco scrapers http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=23223&name=bahco+scraper&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0 - some power planers and other machines use something similar. An old chipped one will do because I use the obtuse angle between the bevel and the upper surface. Two firm passes to raise the metal and two more to turn it over to your desired hook angle is all it takes. Fast and a perfect hook results. Magic.

Can't take any credit for the idea though as it was taught to me by my good friend and West Dean tutor, Bernard Allen.

Jim

Back