Burnisher vs screwdriver???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eoinsgaff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I understand that the hardened steel of a screwdriver is hard enough to do the job of a burnisher when adding an edge to cabinet/card scrapers.

Is this a fair statement or has experience proved other wise?

Eoin

Hi,

It depends on the hardness of your screwdriver, I have one that is hard enough to work and a proper burnisher. It might be a case of suck-it-and-see.

Pete

eoinsgaff":3ai6ubrp said:
Hey all,

I understand that the hardened steel of a screwdriver is hard enough to do the job of a burnisher when adding an edge to cabinet/card scrapers.

Is this a fair statement or has experience proved other wise?

Eoin

According to all the old books, screwdrivers are tempered quite soft, and burnishers are almost glass hard.

In addition, to get a good edge on your scraper, you want a mirror finish on your burnishing implement. Since actual, dedicated burnishers are rather cheap, I would buy one.

If you want the ultimate, people have discussed using synthetic corundum jewelry blanks (i.e. solid Sapphire!)

BugBear

A regular screwdriver won't do, but some of the chrome-plated ones can be used. You'll know wether the screwdriver is OK if it glides smoothly on the edge when burnishing. If it sticks it means that the stel of the screwdriver is too soft. Also, add a drop of oil to the burnisher and you can use a bit softer or not than polished steel.

I use the back of a chisel for burnishing. Basically any good chisel would do (a short gouge would be pretty good), I have used an old Stanley Everlast for years. Just make sure you won't cut yourself with the chisel.

Peka

Hi,

The screwdriver I have is a RS (with the red CAB handles) one they are very hard, impossible to file, the tip cracked off when I was using it! My stanleys are fileable with some difficulty.

Pete

I intend buying one but my local shop didn't have any this week and I need to have my card scraper up and running over the week end.

I'll try a screw driver for now.

Hi,

I just remembered Valve stems are also good, they also make nice centre punches, but they tend to roll of the bench.

Pete

I bought myself a Clifton one from Workshop Heaven at Christmas and I have not regretted it one little bit.

Cheap as chips...great grip and wonderful burrs...

What more can you say!

Jim

It also depends on the scraper steel. If this is softer than the screwdriver/chisel shaft, then it will create a hook. This does not take into account the quality of said hook :lol:

Regards from Perth

Derek

A screwdriver seems a very risky choice.

A good burnisher will produce excellent results (if you get the sharpening of the edges right).

Clifton and Ron Hock both do excellent burnishers. Also solid carbide router cutter shanks work, but are a bit short.

David Charlesworth

At a pinch, you can also use the 12mm or so left after the teeth on a small half round file. I used this for years before I got hold of a Roberts & Lee burnisher. In any event, they're cheap enough to buy and won't entail smashing the piggy bank open.
Even better, you only need one, so you don't need to start a collection...should suite Mike G :lol: - Rob

FWIW I use a 12mm or so dowel pin, like this, which I tacked onto a fastenings order from somewhere. It wasn't an original idea, someone (probably here) must have mentioned it at some point. Works very well, nice polished and hardened steel. I might build it in to a copy of Bob Smalser's holder idea Alf just posted.

Latest posts

Back