burning lines in wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to know how to burn a line in a bowl. can it be any wire or would it be copper.
Can you paint a gold line or gold leaf.
How do you get, er, how do you say it, the markings that run upwards, it looks like inlay (what ever that is), I see it in a shop.

I find a steel wire works better than copper which can tend to snap as it gets hot. Remember to wrap the wire around two dowels not your fingers :!:

To fill groves with paint it is best to seal the wood first so any stray paint can be removed, same goes for leaf.

Alternatively you can buy metal inlay- usually silver that is stuck into the grove with glue or fill with epoxy/metal powder and sand flush.

Vertical lines etc are usually done by indexing the bowl and using some forn of router on a jig.

Jason

Thanks Jason,
I will give the wire a go.
I am also reading back issues of woodworker 2006, and have noticed that most pictures of woodturnings they have long handles on there chisels compared to mine, will this make any difference to the work I do on the lathe?
My handles are about 12inches long with about 6inches for the blade, this is only an estimate.

As the size of chisel goes up so should the handle, as you take off larger cuts the forces are greater so the longer handles give more leaverage. A large bowl gouge may have 10-12" of steel and 14-16" of handle, something to tuck into the side of your body to hold it steady

Good excuse to turn up a couple of handles :wink:

Jason

Latest posts

Back