Burn writing on your work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Orbital Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
It's time I put a slightly more professional finish to some of my pieces and I bumped into a turner at a craft village on the IOW who used a little soldering iron type thing but with a wire type nib. It was great. What the hell was it and what do other folks use/recommend?

Ta muchly

Pyrography pens come in a variety of shapes and sizes and it sounds like one of the Peter Childs ones or similar. You can get ones a lot cheaper with solid tips but they are noit a lot of use for most work.

Pete

I was lucky enough to watch Lisa Raby doing her thang with pyrography at a show. There's no way I would be able to do anything like that though. I struggle to write my name in a legible fashion, let alone burn any art-work.

Yeah I've seen that but my preference is for a hand written signature so I can vary the size and document the wood type and/or date if necessary. Also the underside of the piece will vary with different designs and I want to retain the flexibility.

Random Orbital Bob":vj2jvncg said:
It's time I put a slightly more professional finish to some of my pieces and I bumped into a turner .... who used a little soldering iron type thing but with a wire type nib. It was great.
Was it really 'great' ? I've seen quite a bit of work where the turner has used pyrography to mark their work and I've not seen anything yet that I would describe as 'great'. Too much just looks spidery, inconsistent and a bit naff. I guess someone, somewhere must have mastered the technique and produce elegant signatures on their turnings, but I'll bet it took a huge amount of practice before they got it right.

A decent brand might give a good professional mark without needing to spend months trying to learn an extra skill.

30quid for a metal brand is spectacularly cheap, i've looked into them a few times and always closer to 100quid if not more.

i screenprint onto wood myself, with the right ink the graphic is incredibly hard wearing and the detail really fine. the problems come when the item is small or has an odd shape. another solution is a small rubber stamp (though you don't really use rubber these days) and they can be custom made with your logo for a tenner upwards. i'm actually setting up the kit to start making stamps myself for the very reason of being able to print onto small and odd shapes, not quite burning but you work with the medium to get the best effect and done with thought is very effective.

alternatively and if you are dead set on the burned in effect wait til you have a few pieces and go to a local lazer engraver, expect about 25quid/hour.

its a shame i can't just post in some pics otherwise i could show you some examples that i've either dome myself or had done (lazer).

Random Orbital Bob":2xeuokzm said:
That was a very well put together piece of film. What a neat way of making a branding iron.

Gotta love that Scandinavian sense of humour too!

buzzby":23y77ylx said:
similar to woodmonkey's idea have you seen this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yo6hWKTo-g he walks through the process of making your own brand. Think its is about £30 and a few hours of work. If you only want to stamp your work this could be the cheaper and repeatable option
Having read this I've just designed and ordered one. Well I say just but I've had to get my head round Google sketch up in order to design my 3d brand.
It was reasonably easy and would have been even easier if I wasn't trying to keep it to less than 3cm across.
Anyway, I'll update again when it gets here, estimated delivery early June.
Ohh an dont do what I nearly did, remember to reverse the writing on the brand! :D

I also ordered one too which is in transit as we speak so should hopefully have it this week....

If you really want to get into woodburning, have a look at my friend Tracey's site, you'll be amazed at what she does with a Peter Child's machine, I was so impressed I went out and bought one myself, which I use to burn my initials on my work. That's all I can do, I'm as hopeless at pyrography as I am at painting masters in oils... :(

Scorch's Pyrography

she's good. I too am a total and utter buttocks where drawing is concerned but I have at least got a solution to signing my work in plan at least. Yewtube showed me one he built using a microwave salvaged tranny and some bits n pieces from maplins. That's what I'm going to do as I like the idea of having different tips for different jobs which you make yourself.

bobh7":29wog82z said:
buzzby":29wog82z said:
similar to woodmonkey's idea have you seen this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yo6hWKTo-g he walks through the process of making your own brand. Think its is about £30 and a few hours of work. If you only want to stamp your work this could be the cheaper and repeatable option
Having read this I've just designed and ordered one. Well I say just but I've had to get my head round Google sketch up in order to design my 3d brand.
It was reasonably easy and would have been even easier if I wasn't trying to keep it to less than 3cm across.
Anyway, I'll update again when it gets here, estimated delivery early June.
Ohh an dont do what I nearly did, remember to reverse the writing on the brand! :D

Hi

Could I ask where you ordered yours from? Has it arrived yet?

Cheers

Tom

Woodmonkey":1jkgshcl said:
I also ordered one too which is in transit as we speak so should hopefully have it this week....

Hi

Could I ask where you ordered yours from? Has it arrived yet?

Cheers

Tom

All the information is in the YouTube link on the first page of this thread if you can't get that to play for some reason the company I've ordered from is https://www.shapeways.com
Got an email today saying its been dispatched so hopefully it'll be here in a week or 2.

I've got mine, and it works well although I still need to put a handle on it, I'll post some pics when I get round to it

Latest posts

Back