Building grade timber quality

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yes we do.... delivered timber is hit and miss. I had a 6k order delivered in june, some was dead straight. Out of 28 lengths of 7x2, c24, about half were proper twisted. I had to build the first half of the flat roof with the good stuff, do all noggins etc, the build the second half bending each joist to shape and fixing off the noggins as i went.
Almost all the bits of 6x2 were reasonable and the 8x2s were largely very good.

Sometimes they strap the bent crapppy bits very tightly within the bundle and then band it together so you cant tell until you cut the bands and it all springs outwards.
As said above, its a structural grading via machine nothing to do with appearance or straightness.

Over 20 Years ago, a diy'er bought some t and g at a small sawyard here. A week later he took a couple of bits back and complained they had twisted. The sawyard owner shrugged and said ' you cant help nature '

Ultimately it all has to sell, the merchants arent going to hold on to bent twisted wood and they cant send it back to the forest🤷‍♂️

Good to know (I suppose…!). I’ve so far managed to work with it, the worst pieces I’ll deal with next weekend, with plenty of screws. There are four pieces of 3.6 which I need to scarf into two 5.? so hopefully I can lose the worst of it. I’ve decided it isn’t bad enough to warrant a complaint to the merchant, I’d rather have a good relationship with them, it’s not their fault we’re importing shi*e. I think I’ll get into the habit of dropping into merchants I pass and see if I can find some from a different plant to try out, I’m stuck in my ways for convenience with this place (though I’m told the prices are good).

You could always drop in the office and ask if you can pick your timber for delivery. They'll often put it to one side with your name on it if you pick it the day b4 delivery

Back