Building a Workshop using Sandwich Panels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you would have come across Sandwich panels but they have been around for a while now. They are basically a few layers of insulation encased in a strong outer laminate. They can be used structurally you could build a whole house with them.

I've been thinking that if I built a dedicated workshop I would construct an oak frame then use sandwich panels to fill the voids. No insulation is required and structural sandwich panels can be bought for £55 a square meter.

They still need to be clad but this can be done with a render which would be much cheaper than cladding (for me anyhow) and the roof only needs a lightweight roofing material.

So has anyone else ever thought about doing it?

There are so many types of sandwich panels, Chems, that you had better post a link to give us a clue! They all claim to save money..............but when I have checked they end up being more costly than traditional construction for this sort of project where you presumably aren't counting the cost of your own labour.

As for going between oak posts........you may well be asking for trouble. The oak may shrink up to 10% of its width, but what isn't often mentioned is that it will also twist unpredictably. You could easily end up with a gap you can get your whole hand into. It looks great, and I use it all the time...........but you do need to think very carefully about how you use it......... I would clad outside it, myself.

Mike

Am I right in remembering these are called SIPs?

Yep Structural Insulated Panels. I agree with Mike, any kind of infill needs to be patched over time as the oak dries. If you're sold on render then go for lime mortar over laths, at least you can patch this over the next few years.

I think SIPs are probably used structurally in tandem with softwood framing rather than with heavy framing.

I'm not sure I see the point in having SIPs if you're using a oak frame? Surely you don't need the structural bit?

wizer":17ftmgr6 said:
I'm not sure I see the point in having SIPs if you're using a oak frame? Surely you don't need the structural bit?

I have to agree with Wizer, one of the most expensive methods of contruction are Post and Beam and SIP's, adding the two together makes for a very expensive build.

I am working on a system of plywood modules that have no timber elements and then filled with warmcell, the basic panel is 2.4m x .6m x any thickness....But they can be made any size. The parts are made offsite and are extremly quick to build.

Paul

Chems look up how Adam built his workshop. He made it in a similar way to SIPs so that it could be taken down and moved when needed.

I looked into building a workshop with SIPs last year.

Cost was about x3 compared to the workshop costings you have all shown here. Costs were high because every one wanted an arm and a leg for the price of the SIP panels. I even investigated the cost of having thye workshop designed and made as a special with just four wall panels and two roof panels at a size of 18' x 24'.

Additional costs were for cladding and flooring.

I think the idea is sound but in high cost UK at present a SIP structure is too costly. Maybe in 10 years when this type of construction is more common the price may have dropped a little.

regards
Alan

I think the main advantage is speed and ease of erection. Not price.

beech1948":3hhnnuba said:
I looked into building a workshop with SIPs last year.

I even investigated the cost of having thye workshop designed and made as a special with just four wall panels and two roof panels at a size of 18' x 24'.

Additional costs were for cladding and flooring.

regards
Alan

Alan,

What sort of quotation where you getting for the workshop ?

Paul

Paul.

Three quotes:-
1) Cheapest was £11900 plus delivery
2) Next was £13850 ish again plus delivery and a cgarge of £300 for special handling
3) Highest charge was ££14350 including delivery.

All of these had design included but I was quoted from £350 for design.
All required a deposit of 50%

regards
Alan

Back