Building a workshop on a plot of land.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have access to a plot of land sub leased on peppercorn rent from a builder who leases from the local housing association. It already has three shipping containers on it.

I want to build a summerhouse styled workshop 6x4.8m for the use of the local men's shed I run in the neighborhood.

If it's a timber building without substantial foundations would I have issues with planning?

Cheers James

Hi

I have access to a plot of land sub leased on peppercorn rent from a builder who leases from the local housing association. It already has three shipping containers on it.

I want to build a summerhouse styled workshop 6x4.8m for the use of the local men's shed I run in the neighborhood.

If it's a timber building without substantial foundations would I have issues with planning?

Cheers James
It depends! The simplest thing would be to ask the planning department of the local planning authority - they should be able to tell you what the current established use of the land is (in planning terms) and what constraints there might be re your idea.

Planning may be the least of your problems. Housing associations land bank ground for a reason and usually prohibit sub-letting. I would say eviction is quite a big risk! Get proper professional advice - asking random people you don't know on a forum is probably not the best approach here.

Hi

The build would be very temp, the housing association won't give the chap a rental agreement, but he's been there 8yrs! They cannot build on it as it's on a river bank that floods.

I'm thinking 4.8 x 3m to keep within permitted building allowances I will ask a freindly planner I know.

Cheers James

Hi

The build would be very temp, the housing association won't give the chap a rental agreement, but he's been there 8yrs! They cannot build on it as it's on a river bank that floods.

I'm thinking 4.8 x 3m to keep within permitted building allowances I will ask a freindly planner I know.

Cheers James
Another idea might simply be to convert a 20ft shipping container - portable if needs be, and can be made slightly more secure than a wooden shed - or buy one converted (which ought to have a decent re-sale value if necessary) - e.g. SHIPPING CONTAINERS 20ft ModiBox Office | £6245.00 | Offices, Classrooms & Canteens | Quality Used | Containers Direct

Hi

Cheers James
Depending on the use class of the land, or perhaps for other reasons (e.g. an 'Article 4 direction'), there may be little or no permitted development rights anyway.

The trouble with shipping containers is that they get horribly hot in summer and miserably cold in winter.

The trouble with shipping containers is that they get horribly hot in summer and miserably cold in winter.

And condensation is a big problem. I used to have one as storage and keeping everything dry was a major hassle.

Back