Budget F clamps?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Mark

Established Member
Reaction score
At the moment I only have 5 clamps. Yes, five. You can stop chuckling now :lol:

So, I'm on the look out for some clamps. Beer tokens are tight so I'm looking for cheap ones. I know I'll probably have to replace them at some point but C'est la vie.

I'm currently checking through fleabay to see what's there.
So, if anyone know of any good deals, feel free to share. Ir if there's any suggestions or ideas, I'm all ears.

Cheers, Mark

i have some silverline heavy duty ones. looks like they have changed the colours of them now, but they have lasted me years and didnt cost me much to start with.

I bought a couple of Aldi ones recently. They work out at £2.50 each! They're ok. Ideal if you need lots of clamps along a long join rather than a single clamp with loads of pressure.

edf07d2c708f144aa4cd1c9ce48dfce4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a set of four Urko clamps from Tilgear when they were on offer. They're 300mm with roughly 80-100mm throat, and I really like them.
gal1_470_383_90.jpg

They're like these, except that they're simpler and have wooden grip handles rather than T-bars, which I much prefer for most things.

10 quid + VAT each - not the cheapest, but they grip well and I find them very handy. The only thing that stops me getting more is that Tilgear have stopped importing the handled versions, which are brill.

The shafts and general design, incidentally, are very similar size to the Festool-style plunge saw rail clamps, so much so that I did wonder if Urko OEM'ed to Festool.
489570_xl.jpg

Those rail clamps, from a range of people might be a good idea, as they're under 10 each (or recently have been!). You could easily make a "foot," to slip over the straight end, and they have the huge advantage that they will fit into 20mm MFT and "Workmate" dog holes. I have a pair, and will get some more after I buy an MFT top (keen on the Axminster one presently).

These Axminster clamps will also fit MFT, etc., holes:
505528_xl.jpg

and I use them that way quite often (in a portable bench). You can also join them end-to-end (with a bit of ingenuity), to get double-distance. Their big drawback though is that they do slip - I have yet to find an effective maintenance/cleaning process.

I mention them because they were on offer at around 10 quid each a while back. I think they're overpriced at 17+ each, but they're my goto clamps for general use. I should also add that RogerS really hates them as he had an incident where red dye came out of the pads onto a finished piece. I've had no such issue, but generally don't use them for posh stuff. They do get in the way a bit so you have to plan a bit better (the Urkos generally don't). They also tend to move things a bit as you tighten up - the jaws only come parallel after quite a lot of force is already applied. I've never come close to breaking them, but bending, certainly - I wouldn't contemplate thinner plastic ones for that reason. Rutlands do the same clamp, in green (or used to), but I no longer buy from them.

I do appreciate the costs: Both types are too expensive for me to buy more at the moment. Perhaps you can find some s/h...

The Silverline "heavy duty" F-clamps are good on Amazon. Don't bother with the ones which are not marked "heavy duty", as they are made of cheese.

I probably use my Irwin "mini quick clamps" the most. Very light and easy to use; about £12 for 2. But they're not F-clamps.

Keep an eye on Rutlands for deals on their clamps. You could pick up a 6 pack sub £50

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I bought 4 x 150x50mm clamps in April, identical to the ones in OM99's link a couple of posts up. I've been very happy with them although if you want a really high pressure grip you'll find the plastic handle turns and the thread doesn't but it's no biggie for how I use them and it's probably also a sort of fail-safe to stop damaging the wood.

marcros":15xwosix said:
i have some silverline heavy duty ones. looks like they have changed the colours of them now, but they have lasted me years and didnt cost me much to start with.

Agreed.

I have some of the wide jaw heavy duty Silverlines and they really are excellent, built like a tank. You can't say this about a lot of Silverline stuff.

I just bought a pair of Silverline 675243 F-Clamp Heavy Duty - 600 x 80 mm for £8.51.
54 customer reviews almost all good!

I contacted Aldi for the clamping pressure of their clamps and they came back with info within 24hrs.

Back