BT Broadband help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
When I got up this morning, I found I had no internet connection. As you can see, it is now fixed, but the process was interesting.
First I switched everything off and rebooted the router. No difference. Then I fired up my PC to see if that behaved in the same way as my Mac. It did.
Now BT provide a very useful toolkit, which goes something like this:

BT Toolkit: "There appears to be a problem with your internet connection. Would you like to try and fix it automatically?"

Frustrated Steve: "Ooh, Yes Please, that sounds like a good idea"

BTT: "Checking your internet connection, please wait..."
BTT: "There appears to be a problem connecting to broadband. Please follow the instructions IN YOUR BROWSER WINDOW to fix this problem"

FS: Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!

Don't you just love 'em?

Don't even get me started on BT... They are the worst company I have ever had to deal with. Just when you think their incompetence has reached new lows and couldn't get any worse, they still manage to outdo themselves.

Si.

Wonderful! Doesn't give one much faith in the whole system does it.

Early yesterday my broadband suddenly stopped working. A quick couple of checks led me to believe there was nothing wrong my end so a rang my ISP (Virgin Media) to see if there was a problem. After the usual navigation through "press one for "... etc. I eventually got through to a barely understandable lady (presumably) in India. All I wanted to know was if their service was down but I couldn't get her to understand this and instead she started going through a fault checking sequence (reading from a crib sheet it seemed). It soon became apparent she was expecting me to be running Windows - I don't, I have Linux. When I told her this she said Linux wasn't supported and I should load Windows! It was at this point I gave up. Their servers are all Linux but they don't support Linux .....

By the time I'd rung off the broadband had reappeared.

The one that gets me is the 'advice' to contact your ISP online; whenever you have to phone them to report that you have no internet connection. :roll:

Roger,

Your problem must have coincided with my email being out of service; . All morning! Although I was online okay. Virgin email is having repeated spells of this downtime, since the email service was taken over by Google... SNM! :evil:

Disconnected my router and pc yesterday in the storms, when I plugged it all back in the router would not reconnect, tried switching it off at the socket a few times, nothing, so just for kicks I switched it off and on with the switch at the rear of the router, you can guess the rest, now can anyone tell me why it worked?

Andy

I think it's just a reset Andy. Mine is a small hole at the rear into which I can stick a paper clip end, to reset.
Sometimes I just disconnect the blue cable and then put it back in again. Seems to work as well as the reset button.

Sometimes the age old advice, Have you switched it on and off again, aka the IT Crowd taped message, really is the best approach..
BT and Virgin, equally as rubbish unfortunately, best approach is to make friends with an IT geek who knows a bit about this 'ere wyrless thingey..
(hint it's something to do with IP adresses, packets and 'renewing licences')

mind you the competition will really be interesting when we arrive in 4G land.....

Cheers!

The only problems I have with Virgin, that I didn't get with AOL, ar interruption of email service, and the occasional complete 'blackout'; or whatever they call 'downtime'.

AOL used to be slow, and aggravating, but I can't remember much in the way of interrupted services other than when they were performing maintenance. So maybe it's as well I didn't yet close my AOL account. 8)

Back