Brummie Bash-20th September.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A big thank you to paul and his family for making me feel so welcome and taking such great care of us all- all day. also thankyou to chas and his wife for their part in the food and things.
hope you all got home safe and look forward to seeing some more pics soon. :)

Hi Paul,
On behalf of Gareth and myself I'd like to say a big thank you for the fantastic day :D
What a great bunch of people and isn't good to be able to put faces to so many names and at such a well organised event. Like your workshop Paul, so much room and lots of great toys!!
I think the real stars of the show were the lovely ladies who prepared that superb lunch, A great big 'thanks' to Paul's 'super' girls and Chas's lovely wife for looking after us all so well. That meal was just so good!!
The perfect host Paul and a perfect day, Sincere thanks to you and your family.
kind regards, Bill(beejay) and Gareth

Thanks Paul for for an enjoyable time and to all the ladies for keeping us fed and watered, Thank You.

As has been said it 's great to be able to put faces to names. My only problem now is trying to match actual names to forum names :roll:

Well it came and it went,and it all happened so fast. :shock: Doesn't seem like it ever happened,if you know what i mean :?
The weather was fantastic,which just added to an all round fantastic day.Blue skies :D
Fifteen guests all turned up,with four lathes,three different sharpening systems,plus a wide range of turning tools,and it wasn't long before they were all in use.Thank you for bringing them all along to show and play with :D
At one point it did feel and sound like a big event :shock:
So i would just like to say a big special thank you to Carol,(swmbo)Emily,Amy,(daughters)for doing all the food and taking the tea/coffee orders during the day,and especially to Di for doing those beautiful desserts,and also helping out during the day,and thank YOU all for giving your time to attend and turning it into a great day for all.Thank you,thank you,thank you.
Also thank you for all the timber,and the wine :D

So here are the first batch of piccys to start off with
I will do some more later :D

CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE.
Chas and George (Cornucopia) discussing the Tormek,with Jim,(Lurker) looking on.

Andrew (Powertool) watching Chas using his home made Oland tool.

Graham,(Oldoske) doing some of his miniatures on Petes lathe.Think it was a bit low for you Graham :wink:

Tam,(TEP) brought his mini lathe along and showed how to do off center turning.Very interesting Tam,but i am still not sure i'd be able to do it.

Bill,(Beejay) having a go at Petes,(Bodrighy) rustic turning.

Bill,Tam,and Gareth talking gouges.

Fifteen guests and Caz,(Grahams dog)who still found some space to have a rest :D

This is the piece of Yew that Pete sorted out to do some of his rustic turning.We will follow it's progress :D

Getting it ready to mount on the lathe.

Chas,(CHJ) using the CL1 tool.It does look an impressive bit of kit :shock:

Chas,Jim and Graham,putting the world to rights,or maybe talking turning :?:

Chas,George and Mark,discussing erm something :?

DaveJester having a go with the Munro.

A full shop,with Amy taking the orders for lunch,or is it for tea and coffee :?:

George on the Hegner hollowing out.Not quite the VB George :( :lol:

Sharpening time,just before lunch :D

Chris,(RATWOOD) turning some flowers :D

Sue,(Chris's wife)showing Amy some of Chris's and her own turnings :D

Rich,(Tusses)trying to take it all in.Hope you found the day useful Rich :D

I couldn't make it for this reason and as the brother of the guy interviewed in the video, we have been a family in recovery over the weekend.

Glad it turned out well Paul and I'd like to pop in and see you sometime as I only live 6 miles away.

sorry I couldn't stay for the whole day...

just long enough to give Emily yet another order for coffee ...

and to sample Amy's curry (not bad for an amateur :lol: )...

Di, that cheescake wasn't quite as wonderful as the last time... you'll have to have a word with M&S :p (distance makes me very brave [and very afraid :lol: ])

Still amazed that Carol remained cool calm and collected despite slaving over a hot stove :wink: (thanks again for the offer ...of a pensioner's food parcel :lol:

For those who couldn't make it:

the turning was interesting,

the company was good

the craic was great (next year Boysie :p )

the food was excellent (thanks for not coming :lol: )

Ps

who was the bloke in the baseball cap and dark glasses?

Luv the pix... (Chris, was it something I said :roll: )

Just arrived back home (Cornwall). Thanks to everyone for the great day. As expected I learnt a lot from the experts and hopefully rthe advice will stick. A special thanks to the little army of ladies who catered for our needs so well.

I'll finish the yew off Paul and post a picture of it as promised....even if it blows up :lol:

P.S. If anyone gets one of those cutters that Chas is using, make sure theres a wall between you and anyone closer than about 10 foot. It shifts wood like a bulldozer on steroids. A couple of us had to duck a few times. :lol:
Pete

Sorry to hear of your loss Ian,and in such appalling circumstances. :twisted:

Kafkaian wrote
Glad it turned out well Paul and I'd like to pop in and see you sometime as I only live 6 miles away.
Ian just pm me and let me know when you would like to visit.

Oldsoke wrote
who was the bloke in the baseball cap and dark glasses?
It's me disguise Graham.Glad it worked :wink:

Fantastic, Guys ...
Really peeved I had to call off, looks great !
Well done on getting and posting some great pics to highlight the day... thats excellent !
next time, for sure... definately !
:D 8)

and a wee footnote if its ok,
Kafkaian - very sad to hear of your loss. I watched the video - thats appauling. :cry:
Disgraceful, and utterly appauling.
Thoughts are with you and your family.

Well here are the second batch of piccys :D
Lunch time :D
On the menu was a choice of -

Chicken Curry/Rice/Narn bread.
Chili Con Carne/Rice/Baked spud.
Salad/spud/Rice.

Di's Desserts.
Pavlova/Cheesecake/Apple Strudel/Lemon Meringue.

Time to eat after an enjoyable morning-

-and discuss how it's going.

Here is Di getting the desserts ready for serving :D

Now we have been fed and watered and more discussion before heading back off to the shop :D
CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE

Paul,

I'm a bit late with my thanks but thanks for a great day - time just flew by!

The catering staff were top notch, ensure you retain them for further events. :lol: :lol:

Great bunch of folks and I learned a thing or two as well.

Dates for next year's event soon please :!: :wink:

Paul,

cheers for a great day. Sorry we made such a mess of your workshop. Have you got it back to normal yet?

Looking forward to the next event,

Dave

During the lunch break,Chas passed on some Acrylic pen blanks courtesy of Chestnut Products to some of the pen turners at the bash. :D
Chas as never turned Acrylics before on a wood lathe,but i believe is in the process of doing so.So no doubt he will be putting a thread on shortly showing how he and others who had one,get on.Should be another interesting thread :D

So here are my final batch of piccys.Hope you enjoy :D

Tam doing his off center turning :D

Mark having a bash :D

Can you fill this with tea :lol:

Graham making sure all is well :D

More discussions.

At last the ladies get to have a sit down and a cuppa :D

Just one of the lumps of S/Beech been churned away with the CL1.

Mark prepping another piece with the Munro.Closely watched.

Chris still turning his flowers out :D

Pete been careful.

And trying out the Aircap :D

Bill and Gareth.I could use this for fishing :lol:

Even the ladies get time to see what's going on in the shop :D

Pete demoing :D

More sharpening.

Good to see smiling faces :D

Just some of the tools brought along :D

Pete giving tuition :D :wink:

Here are all the blanks kindly given.Some nice looking wood in that lot,most i haven't turned before,so will look forward to doing so.
Click on images

So that's your lot folks.Hope you have enjoyed all the picyys.
Thanks for all the comments they are much appreciated by all :D
We was just glad that all went well and everyone enjoyed the day :D
So till next year.

Back