BROADBAND WOE'S

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to smile a bit. I had that speed about 5 years ago. Sorry.....

Im surprised though as High Wycombe is spitting distance of London

D

Whilst we are all congratulating ourselves on our fast broadband (mine's 37Mbps) it is of no use to the OP in Devon.

Sawdust1 - Do you know your original speed before the fault?

I would suggest running as many different speed tests as you can using an ethernet cable between the laptop/PC & the router. This should give you a good average & help you decide if the fault is external or if it's the wi-fi.

I recently had a fault on my broadband, which is through copper wires that also are used for the phone. We were suffered many disconnects. Plusnet, my provider did some checks and got me to do some checks in my building* and we decided the fault lay with the cabling so they raised a call with BT Openreach. A nice man came with his test kit and discovered that my speed was 3Mb/s faster outside versus at my master socket. When I say outside I mean in the junction box on my outside wall where the subterranean cable emerges and connects to my master socket by means of a cable which is about 1m in length. He changed this cable and my master socket, got someone to adjust my SNR and my problem is fixed. There was no charge for this. My speed is about 15Mb/s and I'm paying £9.99 for an 'up to 17Mb/s' service. We don't need anything faster.

All components in the network influence the speed at your device, even your operating system. We've run tests with the same computer, running Linux Mint it's networking is faster than when running Windows7 !

*Essentially they had me use a different router and plug it into the test socket inside the master socket with nothing else connected. My problem persisted.

Hi Robbo
Download is 5
upload is 0.4
The problem is not with these but the ping which is usually 30 when the boy is playing his games,
which will spike to over 200ms for a couple of seconds before dropping when someone else uses a
computer which slows his shoot up games.
So when he is playing them all the rest of us have to keep of our devises which in the evening is a
real pain !

Hah!

You guys are so lucky.

My 512 Kbs system went down on august 23rd and still not fixed. We have been given another date of Thursday 29th October (did not specify the year) for them to cut down the oak trees that have grown into the wires. After that, all I have to do is get Orange to repair the line which is off my property but still they are charging me for the repairs.

Back