Broadband router default password - Please change it!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies if you're already up to speed but a new scam has been identified that is independent of whichever computer you're using or operating system or firewall.

But it can only happen if you're still using the default password in your broadband router. But you've already changed that, haven't you :wink:

More details here

It always amazes me just how many Wireless Broadband systems are left wide open. I use SatNav on my PDA and I would guess that around 70% of the Broadband systems it picks up are 'protected' by default names and passwords, which anyone can find with a quick search.

Stop - check your email is what a lot of people do, but they are left open for anyone to access and steal.........

Thanks for the info Roger.

Now to most of you a real silly question. How exactly do I get into my router to change the password. I know, I know, but when it comes to computers etc I am a techno muppet.

Cheers

Mike

It's usually done through your browser Mike using the default settings. That or by the ISP's software package they have sent you. Depends on the type and make of the Router of course but that's the general method

Mike

Chances are that someone here has the same router as you and can help you. So the first question is...what is your router?

While waiting for that, you can try entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar (where you put web addresses). See if you get anything. If you do then that will be your router. It will ask you for the username or similar and password. You did keep the paperwork that came with your router :wink: If not then chances are it's something like admin and admin or admin and password.

If you didn't get to your router with 192.168.0.1 then try 192.168.1.1 (IIRC) which is another common setting.

If you still don't get through then we'll need to know your router type (unless you're familiar with going running CMD)

Roger and Roger, thank you

(I edited the make of the router and model from my post because of what MrJay said below. I know the members are trustworthy, but nonmembers can read this forum, and the thought of having my bank account raided scares the life out of me. I do hope that I have not offended any member by doing this but from what MrJay said I suppose the info I gave could be used to gain access to my bank details.)

I tried the numbers you suggested but had no luck.

Cheers

Mike

type http://192.168.1.254 into the address bar of your favourite browser. Your user name is Administrator, you don't have a password. Probably it's best not to tell the internet what make and model of router you use with the additional information that you are still using the default login and password... :oops:

clicky

Thanks MrKay, I had no idea that someone could use the name and model of my router against me.
In fact I really cannot understand how just by giving someone (who could be on the other side) a name of my router they can find me. How do they get into my computer with just that info?

Once again thank you, you could have saved me a lot of trouble.

Cheers

Mike

Hi all,

I too read that article.....and it is worrying. I'm on cable Broadband, no router as far as I'm aware - have I got anything to change and where might I find it?

Chris

Mike.C":1is3vidq said:
Thanks MrKay, I had no idea that someone could use the name and model of my router against me.
In fact I really cannot understand how just by giving someone (who could be on the other side) a name of my router they can find me. How do they get into my computer with just that info?

Once again thank you, you could have saved me a lot of trouble.

Cheers

Mike

It's not the make and model of the router that's the problem. It's being able to find out your login name and password with ease. Remember that connecting to the Internets is a two way thing.

Scrums":3mxfl7vq said:
Hi all,

I too read that article.....and it is worrying. I'm on cable Broadband, no router as far as I'm aware - have I got anything to change and where might I find it?

Chris

Chris..you probably only have a modem and so no need to worry about this router topic.

As long as you've got a good firewall/antivirus setuo/anti-spyware/etc/etc that all good PC users need to run and that these are up-to-date then you should be fine.

Cheers Roger, that's good news......all the other precautions present and correct, mostly due to not having had them in the past and learning by experience.

Chris.

Back