Broadband ISP recommendations sought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're with AOL 1mb broadband (no don't laugh :oops:) Tried to get mum off it this time but she doesn't want to loose her email address and she likes the all in one AOL program - fair enough... It doesn't bother me as I don't use the AOL program.

We had AOL broadband at the old house in Worthing for years and I have to say as far as I remember, there was only one night where it was slow.

The AOL support is useless. I had to ring up for my uncle the other month. The call centre is in India, all standard responses and once what they suggested didn't work they fobbed me off.

Their 1mb BB is fast, stable (touch wood ;) ) and doesn't have any monthly limits.

I am with www.plus.net 1mhz link if you use 1 ghz in a month its £14.99 extra ghz £1.75 each but there are lots of deals inc connection and equipment fees its fine worth a look at the web site for all the features.

Gosh Charley AOL?? Is UKW dependent on it??

I once tried AOL (before broadband and before I knew any better, it had just appeared on the scene as an ISP and I thought it would be much as the others were at the time :roll: ) and had to reformat the disk, It just took over my computer and was very hard to get rid of. Nothing I have read about it since has given me the slightest inlcination to try it again.

Old, I have heard good things about Plus.net and my daughter who has their broadband has not had a single outage in a couple of years. I think it would probably be the one I switch to if I go that way. I just wish it were easier to switch but for no doubt a multitude of good and bad reasons, it seems very hard to do and therefore one really has to be extremely keen to change (I am about a hairsbreadth away from the necessary keenness.)

waterhead37":86uozxn0 said:
Gosh Charley AOL?? Is UKW dependent on it??
No,no, no.. Don't worry UKW is located in the RedBus III data centre in London :D

waterhead37":86uozxn0 said:
I once tried AOL (before broadband and before I knew any better, it had just appeared on the scene as an ISP and I thought it would be much as the others were at the time :roll: ) and had to reformat the disk, It just took over my computer and was very hard to get rid of. Nothing I have read about it since has given me the slightest inlcination to try it again.

I can safely say my computers are 100% AOL free. It's only mums computer thats got it installed... My switch in the office connects directly to the (network) router...

I went with BT when they first started. Inertia has stopped me moving from them as their customer service is often overloaded and they are pricey.

Metronet is on another telephone line...so far so good.

Don't waste time with Bulldog. I sent them a question re their 2Mb service. Three months later (yes, three months) I got a call back!

We're also waiting to move over to Zen (very impressed with their service to date)..just waiting for BT to enable the exchange. Can't wait as we've been on satellite DSL for a year. OK - for most of the time - but the German head end have no concept of change control and letting customers know when they're going to be messing around.....again...and again. Still one outstanding fault unresolved for three months.

Plusnet get good reviews as well

Roger

Ok here we go then ;)

BT, signed up with them as soon as our exhange was enabled.
Usual BT cockups left right an centre but once the paperwork had moved through the behemoth things ran smoothly, 5yrs i think.

Moved and signed up with bullsh*t, sorry I mean bulldog. Absolutley hopeless, over subscribed by about 200%, no support, no connection longer than 2 minutes and then no bandwidth. Incidently my move coincided with them goind down hill which was also about the same time Cable and Clueless took them over, say no more

Now with Zen, migration was so smooth I though something had gone wrong. BW is superb, cant say about support as I have never had to contact them. Not the cheapest by anymeans but as I depend on it for work money is not a factor.

Did dable with 1MB and 2MB but found it wasnt worth the additional outlay for me.

Signal

Back