Bristol saw restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyT":153adjzv said:
...and was then glued together where it had split

20141209_133242_zpssimoobul.jpg
Hi Andy. Can you expand that a bit (I have a saw handle that needs just this repair)? Did you force the split open wider to get the glue in? What glue did you use? I've given my handle quite a few coats of linseed oil - is that likely to cause the glue to fail (did yours hold okay after you'd used Professor Andy's magic restorer fluid)?

The break opening in mine isn't as wide as yours was.

Cheers, Vann.

Hi Vann.

Thinking about it, the glue in the picture was PVA, so it would have been Everbuild D4. But it didn't work the first time, so I did it again using what is now my favourite glue, Titebond Liquid Hide Glue.
This worked. I've not tested this scientifically but I've read on here that it's a good choice for places where you can't get in to clean the surfaces. Another advantage is that it's quite runny so gravity helps it get inside the crack. You can also blow through a straw to persuade it to flow where you want. (Tip from Racers.)

The crack would open just enough to hold it open with the edge of an old credit card.
It's still holding together in use so must be unaffected by the reviver mixture.

Back