Bringing goods from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course I would! I'd be greatly relieved. Is that what you think will happen?

We'll hold you to that one! lol

My honest view? I think thinks will be OK, I don't think we are going to turn into some kind of prosperous paradise nor do I think we are going to collapse into poverty. We'll have good days and bad days, pretty much like we do now.

We'll hold you to that one! lol

My honest view? I think thinks will be OK, I don't think we are going to turn into some kind of prosperous paradise nor do I think we are going to collapse into poverty. We'll have good days and bad days, pretty much like we do now.
You could be right. We will still be effectively in the EU, just with less power and influence. There will obviously be some major set backs, but there will be efforts to remedy them.
It'd be nice to hear from someone who could point us to the advantages in real terms, not just wishful thinking!

@dfps you will probably be better off selling the kit locally rather than bring it back to UK as by the look of things you will have to pay import duty on it. From what I can gather it will be much like when I returned from Switzerland, I had to pay import duties on my stuff to the Swiss on the way in and to the UK on the way back even though I had receipts for all the furniture and white goods etc and it showed they were all over 2 years old, even my flaming bike
Thanks Droogs....I take on board what you have said and I'm really sorry you got caught out but I spent a lot of my time restoring my mini digger and have got really attached to it so .think I will gives things a bit of time to settle then write to HMRC for a definite answer.

Try me! Not pie in the sky but something real world.

Go on then, for a laugh.

The most obvious seen in the press, after 4 years (or 5?) we regain full control of our fishing waters and quotas. Is that a bad thing?

I avoided the temptation of the removal of free movement as I would get called a racist probably lol.

Go on then, for a laugh.

The most obvious seen in the press, after 4 years (or 5?) we regain full control of our fishing waters and quotas. Is that a bad thing?
Hate to say it but that looks extremely doubtful. In fact it always did. There are reports of considerable anger in the fish trade! EU can shut off power supplies if UK tries to seize control of fish stocks, small print of deal reveals
I avoided the temptation of the removal of free movement as I would get called a racist probably lol.
Not racist as long as you are happy with the simple fact that you too and all UK citizens have also lost freedom of movement.

See, I knew you would find something bad to say! lol

Regarding free movement, doesn't bother me at all, I have no intentions of living or working in the EU. And it's not like you can't still go and do it, it's just more difficult than it was before. I suspect 99% of the country had no intention of living or working in the EU.

Fishing is 0.1% of the economy. If we have lots more fish for ourselves does that make it cheaper, or do we simply export more? The whole thing always seemed like it was "they're our fish and we want them and if we can't have them we're sulking in a corner" but maybe we just knew that the French would throw an absolute fit over the whole thing and we simply kept out powder dry to extract concessions from the EU.

Regaining control isn't relevant as much as do we need the fish? Do we want them? How much of our stocks can we catch in a year with the current fishing fleet? If it's a number less than 100% then what are complaining about anyway?

Apparently we farm 109% of our lamb requirements, but we still import it from NZ. That seems a bit pointless.

if Brexiteers kept saying "I told you so" and being all smug about it. You wouldn't see it as useful you would think poorly of them

Having had a lifetime full of that sort of badly formed opinion and newspaper propaganda I can confirm.

Apparently we farm 109% of our lamb requirements, but we still import it from NZ. That seems a bit pointless.

I bet that is measured in weight. We are such narrow minded eaters that we only eat some cuts in any quantity, and so the bits we on average do not want get exported. We then buy in more bits we do like from NZ. We are also (on average) less willing to pay for quality, so there is a lot of the prized stuff (eg salt marsh) getting exported to those who will pay a premium for it that we will not. That brings in £ to the country, as we substitute with cheaper NZ stuff.

See, I knew you would find something bad to say! lol

Regarding free movement, doesn't bother me at all, I have no intentions of living or working in the EU. And it's not like you can't still go and do it, it's just more difficult than it was before. I suspect 99% of the country had no intention of living or working in the EU.

You are right, you can still do it, and it is more difficult, it will take money. The people who have driven this brexit have the money to do as they like, and if it goes bad? No problem.

You don't want to live in the EU but I do. I don't like the way it is narrowing choice unless you have money. It feels to me as if brexit is designed to keep people in.

I just don't understand how much better it can be? Please tell me I am wrong.
  1. I do not now want any shortages, I expect everything to be better in life because that is what has been promised.
  2. Anything else would not be acceptable.
  3. Now honestly, does anyone really think this will happen for the common man?

I have many European friends who are brother/sister woodworkers, I am not different from them today because some oaf cracks a joke and a deadline at 23:00hrs tells me I am.

Privilegie der Visscherie was given in 1666 in which King Charles II granted 50 Flemish fishermen from Bruges “eternal rights” to English fishing waters.
Bruges was part of the Southern Netherlands, controlled by Spain. The offer had been Charles’s way of showing gratitude for the hospitality he received when he stayed there during the interregnum that followed the decapitation of his father, King Charles I, and his own restoration to the throne.

Privilegie der Visscherie was given in 1666 in which King Charles II granted 50 Flemish fishermen from Bruges “eternal rights” to English fishing waters.
Bruges was part of the Southern Netherlands, controlled by Spain. The offer had been Charles’s way of showing gratitude for the hospitality he received when he stayed there during the interregnum that followed the decapitation of his father, King Charles I, and his own restoration to the throne.

Blimey that's an interesting one. My interest in territorial waters was always affected by Gibraltar's position. Spain say they never ceded territorial waters and they're still Spanish, despite Gibraltar being ceded in 1713 and the concept of territorial waters didn't exist so clearly wasn't covered - same as airspace which in the early 18th century was definitely top of the list of things to consider given the flourishing aviation industry at the time :rolleyes:

Blimey that's an interesting one. My interest in territorial waters was always affected by Gibraltar's position. Spain say they never ceded territorial waters and they're still Spanish, despite Gibraltar being ceded in 1713 and the concept of territorial waters didn't exist so clearly wasn't covered - same as airspace which in the early 18th century was definitely top of the list of things to consider given the flourishing aviation industry at the time :rolleyes:

Let's not mention Ceuta....

"The government of Morocco has repeatedly called for Spain to transfer the sovereignty of Ceuta and Melilla, along with uninhabited islets such as the islands of Alhucemas, Velez and the Perejil island, drawing comparisons with Spain's territorial claim to Gibraltar. In both cases, the national governments and local populations of the disputed territories reject these claims by a large majority.[44] The Spanish position states that both Ceuta and Melilla are integral parts of Spain, and have been since the 16th century, centuries prior to Morocco's independence from France in 1956, whereas Gibraltar, being a British Overseas Territory, is not and never has been part of the United Kingdom"-Wikipedia

Sigh. You know, the world is full of two fleas fighting over a dogs back....perhaps I should quote "property is theft"
Pierre-Joseph Proudhon-1840 or ooer Misses, Marquis de Sade 1797 "Tracing the right of property back to its source, one infallibly arrives at usurpation. However, theft is only punished because it violates the right of property; but this right is itself nothing in origin but theft".

So territorial claims are fraught with difficulties......the world is getting smaller and resources are going to be a premium, expect more disputes I think.

Let's not mention Ceuta....

So territorial claims are fraught with difficulties......the world is getting smaller and resources are going to be a premium, expect more disputes I think.

Yes the irony of the double standards is superb. Ceuta's a very weird place, it's not in NATO because it's on the African continent but it's part of Spain which is, it's in the EU but not in the customs union despite the fact Spain is.

It's nice to visit though, although they tend to shoo you away from venturing too close to the fence in case you photograph all the sad looking Africans plotting how to scale the fence.

Never been Ceuta but Gibraltar a few times. Funny story, I knew a guy called Fred who was working on re-surfacing of the runway and was driving the road sweeper, apparently he did not get much sleep until one day he woke up under water, as he had driven right off the end of the runway...

I have a micro digger and 4x4 mini dumper at a property in France that I took over last year.
I have little in the way of proof that I took them over from the UK on the ferry on a trailer apart from some random photos of the machine in the UK and the machine on a trailer prior to leaving so am a bit concerned how I would fair when I have to bring them back to the UK sometime later this year after Brexit !

Bit niche I supposed but other people must have similar large equipment or tooling in the EU that they took over from the UK ?

Anyone ?
YES That's my biggest fear , been working in France doing a major reno / rebuild job and took nearly my whole workshop over wtih me including my startrite ta 275 saw :cool:, but no after a few euro buys of some kit, when I return home I'm wondering will I get hit with import + vat on all my tooling.

If so , I'll just turn around and go back , pipper paying those taxes. !

Karl [ currently stuck in a Dutch lockdown :rolleyes:☹ ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back