Brexit and woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They had only recently put these on offer. Jet obviously put their prices up so Brodies had to follow. I wonder if they will keep stocking them?

3212eac4437745f49271090ef81187be.png

Exactly same message from this company too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:(

Thing is, unless people are actively watching the prices of things (not just JET but all brands), it'll most likely go unnoticed

Halo Jones":rhxeiqwd said:
Axminster may change their prices before the end of the year too!

already happening mate no ones going to wait till the end of the year, 10" table saw from axminster jumped from £739 last week to £810 this.

i import goods & manufacturer for the music industry, its happening across the board from material supplies to shelf goods we just buy & sell on.

some companies are doing currency adjustments e.g price is the same list + a weekly % change depending on the position of the pound, others are pulling trade & retail price lists & discontinuing them whilst they try to work out a level to set new pricing at.

I'm seeing between 5% & 13% average increase across all my costs.

clk230":28wojf32 said:
I bet they won't drop the prices when the pound recovers

The pound is not going to recover. Sterling has had a long term decline trend against the US dollar and many currency pundits and economists think that the recent falls are only about half of what is needed / will happen.

The Euro is overvalued too against the dollar but the correction may take a while yet. My personal view is that in real terms we can expect machinery, tools and timber to be significantly more expensive next June compared with this June, possibly in the order of 20%.

For those with a Festool addiction, prepare to pay more to fund your habit 8)

A large timber supplier near to me has apparently put their prices up 15% since the vote. And it's not just the European timbers so I guess this is currency related.

AJB Temple":1wbaaqaf said:
clk230":1wbaaqaf said:
I bet they won't drop the prices when the pound recovers

The pound is not going to recover. Sterling has had a long term decline trend against the US dollar and many currency pundits and economists think that the recent falls are only about half of what is needed / will happen.

The Euro is overvalued too against the dollar but the correction may take a while yet. My personal view is that in real terms we can expect machinery, tools and timber to be significantly more expensive next June compared with this June, possibly in the order of 20%.

For those with a Festool addiction, prepare to pay more to fund your habit 8)

Can your crystal ball tell me the lottery results :wink:

My local chippy were celebrating the result of the "independence day", as they kept calling it, when we went to get some fish and chips on the day after the vote.

They immediately raised all their prices and have now closed for two weeks while the owner goes to Spain.

Anyway, maybe I should get my new sharpening jigs now.

This is not politics it is economics. Irrespective of views on Brexit, the economic realities are what they are. We will be paying more for tools and timber. This will affect demand for products and services. It does not require a crystal ball to see the £/$ trend. The UK economy will become less relevant globally. As we lack natural resources that have not already been exploited we will need to find markets to generate new wealth and economic growth.

I don't have any grandchildren , why should I pay for everyone else's grandchildren?

:lol:

Sorry , couldn't resist.

AJB Temple":1lpyg1py said:
This is not politics it is economics. Irrespective of views on Brexit, the economic realities are what they are. We will be paying more for tools and timber. This will affect demand for products and services. It does not require a crystal ball to see the £/$ trend. The UK economy will become less relevant globally. As we lack natural resources that have not already been exploited we will need to find markets to generate new wealth and economic growth.

leaving the politics from your post aside !

Nobody knows what will happen with the £/$ in the future , economics is theories not facts . :wink:

clk230":1kfmtkcj said:
AJB Temple":1kfmtkcj said:

leaving the politics from your post aside !

Nobody knows what will happen with the £/$ in the future , economics is theories not facts . :wink:
I don't see anything political in Adrian's post, or were you joking?

Random Orbital Bob":2ea8jfux said:
Lets keep the politics out please guys!!! No one needs to start lamenting their Grandkids lot in the unknowable future just yet!!

The future is a known unknown

Back