Brass record no4, how much?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
Saw this and can't believe someone would pay that much or this.
The casting looks ruff, bashed up and bent adjuster, list goes on.
Is nice tho :)

I believe this to be a, quick the boss isn't looking plane. Or the like.
Who know about brass versions as I've now seen a few, am I missing out?

http://bit.ly/1fcQiEN
Thanks

TT

I believe the first brass planes were intended for coal mine carpenters as brass is less likely to spark than iron or steel. Avoiding a spark was pretty essential down the pit in the old days.

I had always assumed that brass ones were a pattern makers copy of an iron one. Were some manufactured commercially that way?

marcros":1uf0spnq said:
I had always assumed that brass ones were a pattern makers copy of an iron one. Were some manufactured commercially that way?

I'm not to sure, I've seen stanley, pasty, record, marples and various other in brass so I would think just made by special order, or..
A guy from a guy who could do it cheap on the hush hush. We will never know.

I do have a think with brass planes. They look stunning and don't rush :)
Perfect

But that price for a no4... Crazy
TT

MMUK":ogug477u said:
It comparable to the price of a brand new QuiangSheng :)

I know what you mean, obviously brought by a collector to showcase with the rest of his/her brass tools, I'm not a fan of no4 planes tbh

Nice rosewood tho
TT

marcros":1udnqgi6 said:

+1. I would have assumed that somebody dropped it, cracked the original iron body, and used it as a pattern for an easier to cast brass replacement. If so, it may be very slightly undersized.

But I'm willingly to be proved wrong.

Edited to add - do my eyes deceive me, or is that marking in the casting a faithful reproduction of the original welded and ground down repair to a crack across the mouth ?

Sheffield Tony":1esp5c3j said:
marcros":1esp5c3j said:

+1. I would have assumed that somebody dropped it, cracked the original iron body, and used it as a pattern for an easier to cast brass replacement. If so, it may be very slightly undersized.

But I'm willingly to be proved wrong.

Edited to add - do my eyes deceive me, or is that marking in the casting a faithful reproduction of the original welded and ground down repair to a crack across the mouth ?

I agree that it may be a casting form an original record and your right it would b smaller from shrinkage. Vann had a router that is brass as is slightly smaller than it's original.

The mark on the side could very well be the damage cast.
Thanks for that Tony

Cheers
TT

I think that the fact that brass versions of a variety of manufacturers' planes are occasionally found suggests to me that it is a repair. And maybe not by a patternmaker - possibly just a school metalwork shop in the not so distant past. I have been shown brass planes by old boys that they made at school, though usually shoulder planes. Plenty of scrap brass and dropped planes to hand ...

I hope the person who bought this isn't listening ...

tobytools":2psuvxwd said:
Vann has a router that is brass as is slightly smaller than it's original.

Record 071 brass.jpg

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• Record 071 brass.jpg
    Record 071 brass.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,056
Speak of the devil.

If the person who brought that record plane some how finds this link then I apologise if it seems I'm taking the p**s

Brass is prettier than steel but I prefer wood :)

TT

Back