brass pin hinge for box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I'm making a box and have just got to thinking about the hinge.

The box is going to look like this....... (but not quite so wonky.

4203955562_9ae3845678.jpg

I intend to drill through from the sides (where indicated top left in the pic) into the lid and put a brass pin / nail of some sort.

Q1. should I glue the end of the pin that goes into the box side? or maybe flatten the end so it "stays", whilst the end in the lid can turn free?

Q2. How do I shape the back of the lid and the top of the back piece so they can pass each other?

I was thinking the back of the lid could be rounded, but I have no means of cutting a mating round in the top of the back.

I dont mind a small gap between the lid and back piece if necessary, although I have already cut the dovetails in the back piece.

The back can just be cut off short by the thickness of the top and then put a slight bevel on the rear half, this will stop the lid when it is just past 90deg and hold it open.

For the lid you just need to round over the lower back edge , the pin should be central on the lids thickness and the same distance in. The roundover should have the same radius.

I usually just make the pins a tight push fit.

Jason

Mick, didn't you sell some of the cosman DVD's recently? Didn't fancy his method? It looks labour intensive, but the result is very nice IMO

I did wizer. But I think that's a bit above me at the moment. Don't have a router either which he employs.

I'll take a look at that philly thanks very much.

Philly - it looks liek you put the lid on after you've glued the box together. I assume you push the rod through the side and into the lid, so how do you epoxy only the end of the rod which goes into the side?

Do you just dab a bit of epoxy on the last bit before you push it home?

Epoxy isnt the same stuff as superglue is it?

Mick
I fitted the lid after gluing up the box - I left the brass oversized so I could pull it out again. I just clamped the lid in place and drilled though the side into the lid - easy!
I used epoxy instead of superglue as it dries too quickly - didn't want the glue to "grab" before I'd pushed the rod all the way home. A dab of glue inthe hole before I pushed it in for the final time.
Hope this helps,
Philly :D

I have made a few of these boxes, and I use a bit of thickened superglue.
Just like philly I make the box and fit the lid to it once finished. then drill the holes and open the holes in the lid up just a fraction maybe 0.1mm. I then push some wax into the holes in the lid.
Being a sad git I like to raise the head of the pin using a ball pein hammer to produce facets on the end of the pin. As an alternative you can dress the end of the pin with a file with some chalk rubbed into it to prevent pickup. once the pins are finished you can push then through the sides into the lid and put a spot of glue onto the last few mm of the pins, that way the superglue does not show.

Back