Branding irons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at the alternatives for marking my projects, especially since I have another export order :wink: :lol:

As my output is very small buying small quantities of any label becomes quite expensive.

Anyone know of a UK supplier for something like this?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=699

I've googled around a bit and found zilch so far.

Andy

My own first port of call for this sort of thing would be my local blacksmith.
Cheers Mike

Janik pyrography will (or used to ) make up a custom electric brand for you.

Why not order one of the non-electrically heated ones from Rockler and a gas fuelled blow-lamp from your local B+Q?

One of the larger sized ones should be able to get enough heat into the brand to allow it to scorch the wood.

Regards

Gary

Nick, thanks googled Janik and all the links end up with Craft Supplies, no mention of branding irons, I'll have to call them

Taffy, thanks, I've no objection to importing and have blow torches already just thought I'd try and source in the UK first.

I'd thought of cutting some thick veneers in a wood most suited to branding (trial and error) in order to make a labels for attaching to finished items.

It certainly is cost effective £30.00 + taxes etc for the non electric iron for as many labels as one needs.

Andy

Andy,

The reason that all the links end up at Craft Supplies is that they have taken over the agency for Janik.

I have ordered stuff from Rockler with no problems whatsoever. The postage can be a bit steep though. They normally deliver a lot quicker than the 6 weeks they quote for surface mail.

Regards

Gary

I think I'm going to get one of those from Rockler... the danger however is that i'll endup adding lots of goodies to my basket :oops: :wink:

Dedee
IMHO the 'disk' labels that Andy and I use are such quality and for £30 you get your logo/name/number/whatever in real brass or a variety of finishes.
At 1" diameter they are discrete and can easily be installed flush with a Forstner.
Personally I never ereally liked the burnt in name stuff that much.
Site is here:
http://www.makers-marks.co.uk/
Regards
Martin

Martin,
thanks for your comments. I do have a quote from Vidi at Makers Marks and although they are of undoubted quality but for £30 I would get quite a small quantity, about 10.
They are certainly my preference but I just need to convince my wallet!

My suspicion on the branding irons is that the burnt effect will vary from one type of wood to another, hence my idea of making a batch labels on a suitable wood rather than branding each finished project directly.

I will sleep on it - thanks again

Andy

Dedee

Again fwiw, the few people that I have given small items to, boxes,candle holders etc and one table have all said that in their opinion the MM discs confer and add a distinction and air of quality to the piece.
I would hazard that this reaction alone is worth any small cost dicrepancy.

I add the usual 'no connection with MM' etc etc!
regards
Martin

Ive been wondering about the MM tags, specifically the cost. At £30 per 10 or so I might well place an order - at the rate I work they'll last me for years. THough thats not a good thing really I know.

Back