Bracket capacity & Ironmongery Direct Customer Service

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcndave

Established Member
Reaction score
631db9e30b9b17d787a29a80d45dd876.jpg

8d1f1f98bb996df0989f6e1b175ebd90.jpg

Got these 50cm brackets. Intending to store wood on them. Wondering what the max load will be. The wood is heavy.

Any engineers out there who might know? My discipline was electronics so not much use!

I currently intend to put 4 up and store 8 x 6cm maple planks, each 20cm wide and 3m long.

Cheers, Dave

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk

Thats about 50kgs per bracket, I would say thats quite a bit on a bracket 500mm deep. Maybe be ok if the wood is more at the back.

The limiting factor maybe the strength of the wall and fixings

Wouldn't hurt to bolt a piece of steel across the hypotenuse just for some added strength, although this may eat into you're storage space??

Adidat

adidat":3svmcgpe said:
Wouldn't hurt to bolt a piece of steel across the hypotenuse just for some added strength, although this may eat into you're storage space??

I got these for the precise reason that they didn't have that part, others do and really limit the space. I am aware it may reduce capacity, all other things being equal, but then I can simply put my levels closer together.

kostello":3svmcgpe said:
I reckon it will be OK...

You should see the amount of stuff that I have on just a few little twinslot shelf brackets......

Well, that's where I started, but I'd like to load them as much as possible, and I don't really want 200kg of wood crashing down in the garage, for many reasons! :|

RobinBHM":3svmcgpe said:
Thats about 50kgs per bracket, I would say thats quite a bit on a bracket 500mm deep. Maybe be ok if the wood is more at the back.

The limiting factor maybe the strength of the wall and fixings

The wall is solid concrete 40cm thick and I am putting in #12 bolts. With the downward forces, the fixings / wall shouldn't be a problem.

One thought, I don't know much about metal fatigue, however I wonder if it's a case of "if it holds it holds for good", or if the stresses can fatigue it over time, meaning it suddenly gives after 2 years... I rather feel it's the latter.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions so far!

No one seems to have mentioned the material yet. It looks a bit like diecast aluminium/zinc?? Not a good idea for heavy loads as there will be little visible bending before catastrophic failure.
If you can't get manufacturers specification then maybe consider testing one to destruction?

They are aluminium yes. I was thinking that I don't want uprights secured to the floor, running up to the top of the bracket, as then it's hard to get these pieces in. However I could do that on just the end two, and then put the actual brackets every 50cm, giving me 7 for a 3m length.

I just like these as they don't have the diagonal, however seem much sturdier than the "london" style brackets for shelving etc.

Or, perhaps someone can suggested a purpose built lumber storage system? I made one out of left over OSB in my main workshop area, however the diagonal braces cut out at least half the storage space...

I've got some of that in my garage, and wouldn't store hundreds of kilos on it. Maybe there's some super heavy duty ones out there, but not seen them. I'll search some more.

That surprises me, I'd have thought it'd be stronger that the original brackets. Spread the load with more shelves too. I have them all around one end of my workshop and they hold a fair bit of weight.

Yer, I have a lot to store, need maybe 10 shelves of 3m each, and at €20 per bracket, would like to find a cost effective solution. The one from lee valley http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.a ... 48&p=32145 holds 270kg per bracket, but I can't find anything similar in EU.

The Triton one, https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B002QR ... 503&sr=8-1 is 50kg per shelf, so with 4 brackets that's 1/20th of the lee valley one!

All the systems for factories and lumber yards start in the thousands... I might just put in extra brackets and over engineer it.

I'd investigate twin slot a little more, get some specs, sounds ideal for what you want.

I've used twin slot shelving for similar in the past and found it works superbly well. Really flexible and can take quite a load. I've found iron mongery direct to be very well priced.

I put up a lot of twin slot shelving recently to store my rather messy pile of wood.

It was interesting to note the difference in load capacities for the different lengths of bracket even though they are all made from 1.5mm steel.

They are -
120mm 151kgs
170mm 108kgs
220mm 84kgs
270mm 69kgs
320mm 60kgs
370mm 57kgs
470mm 80kgs
610mm 74kgs

Why should the loads go down before rising again at 470mm? :?

I bought four 'brackets' from eBay, got lucky and they were 99p as I was the only bidder. They are made from c.2.5cm square steel tube with four 50cm long 'prongs' welded to each c.150cm long upright giving about 45cm space above the 'prongs'. They are clearly a one-off 'special' rather than a shop bought item, but going on look and feel they will take a lot of weight. Maybe, given the cost of each of your brackets it would be as cheap for you to have somebody make up something similar to my racking?

Terry.

The steel of the twin slot always seemed somewhat thin to me, however looking at the specs, they are typically 50kg per bracket.

One thing that put me off a bit, was that they flap around when not screwed to a shelf, and would want to have these open, with no shelving.

Still I ordered a bunch of Ironmongery Direct as it happens, and we'll see. It's cheaper for me to buy and have delivered from UK, than to buy here, even with the new exchange rate! In my local store, the brackets were €6 each, IMG has them for under £2.

whiskywill":137bjoa1 said:
I put up a lot of twin slot shelving recently to store my rather messy pile of wood.

It was interesting to note the difference in load capacities for the different lengths of bracket even though they are all made from 1.5mm steel.

They are -
120mm 151kgs
170mm 108kgs
220mm 84kgs
270mm 69kgs
320mm 60kgs
370mm 57kgs
470mm 80kgs
610mm 74kgs

Why should the loads go down before rising again at 470mm? :?

They go down as the further from the wall, the greater the "moment" and the greater the forces. I assume that the longest 2 are different and reinforced in some way.

Where did you get them? do you have a link?

Back