Bracket capacity & Ironmongery Direct Customer Service

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look like good sturdy brackets to me. To give an idea of load capacity, treat the bracket as a cantilever beam. Think about over-loading it - you would expect it to bend near the wall end. So use the depth and thickness of the reinforcing bit underneath the wide top part of the bracket near the root, and shove that into a cantilever beam calc. Use the top formula on this page: http://www.engineersedge.com/beam_bendi ... nding8.htm

Twinslot will be fine - I have used these spaced at 45cm intervals and loaded up a wall with oak and ash without problems. Alternatively there is the Triton wood storage wall rack - I haven't used it but have heard good things about them.

no idea":iuymhue1 said:
Twinslot will be fine - I have used these spaced at 45cm intervals and loaded up a wall with oak and ash without problems. Alternatively there is the Triton wood storage wall rack - I haven't used it but have heard good things about them.

I posted about that earlier. It's 50Kg per shelf, as opposed to per bracket, so I didn't like the idea very much.

What surprises me is that a twinslot could hold so much.

I always felt that it was all the weight on these little thin tabs here:

qXJTOTe.png

Which have already had a slot cut out of it to get things going...

I bought a pack of 10 brackets from Screw Fix which are pretty good. The deepest shelves (which i bought) are 350mm and have a capacity of 79kg/bracket... there are 250mm deep ones with a capacity of 120kg and 200mm deep ones with a capacity of 147kg. I spaced mine every metre and its been great so far with no signs of distress (have been loaded quite heavily!)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hi-load-mitre ... pack/56023

Also FYI as a guide, say Maple has a max density of around 750kg/m3 then that means that (based on your sizes) 0.06 x 0.20 x 3.0m = 0.036m3... which means each plank weighs around 27kg. So if you space your brackets at 1m centres then each plank weighs 9kg per metre... so for example my 350mm deep Screw Fix brackets i could comfortably load 8 planks on them if at 1m centres. And if in doubt about capacity increase the centres for piece of mind!

Hope that helps

Thanks for the advice, although, 1m centres over 3m means 4 brackets, so the maple weighs 6.75kg per bracket. That means with a 50kg bracket, I could load 7 on them. Still surprised that thin bit of metal there and on the wall strip can bear so much.

wcndave":35dx4mo4 said:
Thanks for the advice, although, 1m centres over 3m means 4 brackets, so the maple weighs 6.75kg per bracket. That means with a 50kg bracket, I could load 7 on them. Still surprised that thin bit of metal there and on the wall strip can bear so much.
Ever hung a kitchen wall unit and looked at it and thought, "no, no way is that going to hold"?

Physics mate :) or some other black magic.

Well, I am an advocate of Ironmongery Direct, as I think they offer excellent customer service, and this has been born out again, albeit this time with a few errors.

I got the package, delivered internationally, and it contained most of the brackets, but 10 were missing, and I had 9 extra of one size, and one extra of another, and none of the uprights.

So I asked them if there were 2 parcels, as the uprights are 1m, so I could easily see them coming as a separate package.

They responded immediately, and said they'd send out the missing 10, and the uprights straight away. No quibbles, excellent.

Then today, the uprights from the first order actually arrived.... (hammer)

So I still would have been missing 10 brackets, however it looks like they didn't check whether they had in fact sent out more than one package the first time...

So 100% for response time, and sorting things out, a few points docked for not checking quite right, but still a gold medal performance ;-)

I feel a bit guilty now though, I have 10 extra uprights and 10 extra brackets that it's not worth them collecting/returning...

By twin-slot do you mean 'Spur' Shelving? I am using that at the moment, and I have had loads of timber stored on it.

I think it depends a lot on the strength of the fixing and what it is fixed to. In my case it's screwed to match-board cladding, with the screws driven into the studding. If I was doing it all again I'd fix vertical battens where the metal supports were going to go, and use a good long screw going through the battens and into the match-board. But they have been fine up to now!

There are no end of timber storage racks on the 'Tube', but the strongest you could make, still depends on what you are fixing the uprights to, and what you use to fix them. 8)

Latest posts

Back