Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
This box is 90mm dia x 70mm high.

Inspired by the Japanese tea ceremony caddy.

The inside is natural with the outside being achieved with various painting techniques.

I am afraid that I do not have any pictures of the interior but you will see this in due course.

STA70679croppeded-1.jpg

Another stunning piece Mark, is the gold, gold leaf or a gilding paint of some description, ive been using 'Just a Touch' enamel paint by Krylon, two coats on bare wood works a treat and if you drag the wet brush gently on the surface a few minutes after 2nd coat has been applied you can achieve some patterning under the gloss surface.
regards Darren

Very very nice, just online looking at other types of Japanese laquerware,

You've totally nailed it !

Loz

If I didn't know better I'd swear it was ceramic. Bet anyone picking it up will be surprised that it is so light . The finish is exquisite IMHO.

Pete

Hi all

Thank you very much for your comments they are much appreciated.

The techniques for this faux lacquer and box I can not go into here as it is in the next woodturning magazine as an article out soon. Hopefully it will answer any of your questions.

The substrate does not matter, the form and particularly the finish is absolutely suburb.

As a hobby turner and knowing a bit about the trials of finishing wood my only regret is that so many people will look at it with no appreciation of the skill and finesse that has gone into achieving the finished piece.

I for one would fully expect to open it up and be presented with an immaculate Gloss Black lacquer ware or sparkling Gold finish.

That is really beautiful. The smoothness of the reflection just shows off how well finished it must be.

Is there any chance we can see the inside? Like Chas I am curious to know how the inside is finished.

I think I will need to buy the next Woodturning magazine to see how you have done it (I am presuming it is more complicated than a can of Halfords car paint and some wet-and-dry) ;)

Hi Chas

Thank you for your comments.

No the inside while jet black would have been my preference was left natural for the article.

Frugal you will have to wait and see.

At times things are not as they seem.

Hi Matmac

Thank you for your comment.

The whole process is in this months woodturning magazine if you can get hold of it.

The process is not difficult but just requires patience. It is numerous layers of acrylic car spray which is cut back until very smooth with 0000 wire wool. Then add another coat and cut back, continue this until you have a solid lacquer appearance.

Back