Box joint jig sketchup plans free of charge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dennis. I sent a follow up email with some afterthoughts in it that covers both these issues, did you get it?

I drew the whole thing in 18mm so that if you didn't have a mixture of thickness's lying around you wouldn't have to buy several different sheets. 12 mm For the base will be fine. I doubt you will find a screw thread who's pitch coincides perfectly with your blade thickness. If one turn takes you beyond the edge of the blade and leaves a tooth behind you can either go back and get it freehand or put a second flat on the wheel so that it stops at the right point mid revolution.

I'm afraid I only got the one mail myself.

As for the screw, as I mentioned a threaded rod made to the M10 standard should work perfectly with a 3mm kerf blade.

Yes, lets see if it does, keep us informed. I'll forward the second email to you, there are a few valid changes you need to make note of.

EDIT: Sent.

OK I got it now, you recommend making it wider you say, I had thought you had used the PDF released by the author to make these plans (but in metric) so I figured they'd be near replicas of his design.

Was there a reason you made it smaller? Or did you draw it by eye without the plans and those are the reasons for the differences?

I only have a Dewalt trade table saw and measured the width of the runners on that then added some. Most of the measurements on the drawing are discretionary. I drew it from scratch. The PDF design on the site seemed very complicated.

I'll probably look at both when making this as I want it big, I have a big table saw (bigger than the authors I'd say) and I want a large capacity.

Neat idea.

Suggestion: assuming 10mm studding, you might glue a hex nut on, instead of the wooden cam. It would need a metal dog to index against, but that gives you increments of 0.25mm. You'd have to count carefully though ;)

It ought to give cleaner results than a router table though, as it has a zero clearance fence and won't tend to tearout on one side, nor pull skewed as the router equivalents do. Given there's no sideways pull, is the clamp overkill - wouldn't a sideways stop do instead, or is it for safety?

Eric The Viking":2zjbirgl said:
Neat idea.

Suggestion: assuming 10mm studding, you might glue a hex nut on, instead of the wooden cam. It would need a metal dog to index against, but that gives you increments of 0.25mm. You'd have to count carefully though ;)

It ought to give cleaner results than a router table though, as it has a zero clearance fence and won't tend to tearout on one side, nor pull skewed as the router equivalents do. Given there's no sideways pull, is the clamp overkill - wouldn't a sideways stop do instead, or is it for safety?

You could manage without it, most do. I've drawn it as the video, I think I'd rather have the clamp on myself.

I've wondered if I should just make it a box like on Wandels jig and use a screw clamp to hold the pieces in. Then I'd also have a corner to shove the bits into which would double as a stop.

DennisCA":3rz0iww8 said:
I've wondered if I should just make it a box like on Wandels jig and use a screw clamp to hold the pieces in. Then I'd also have a corner to shove the bits into which would double as a stop.

I'd be interested to see developments

I've bought some threaded rod and nuts and I got enough plywood so I should have most things needed to complete this project, but it's an hectic time and none of us at home are still not 100% from this "supercold".

DennisCA":y04s7gjw said:
I've bought some threaded rod and nuts and I got enough plywood so I should have most things needed to complete this project, but it's an hectic time and none of us at home are still not 100% from this "supercold".

It's all about enjoying yourself Dennis, no rush. I'm half way through a couple of bedside cabinets that should have been finished and installed by now but for this flu. I'm sat here with 2 fleece's on coughing for England, I don't think it's ever going to let go!

thanks for the plans fella. now i just need to work out what the hell it actually is and how to use it lol

Would it be possible to get a copy of the sketch up plans as well? I am new to box joints and this looks like an awesome way to cut them!!

The video makes it look very easy.

New to the board, so I cannot PM.

[email protected]

Back