Box Frame (Sash) Windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good book that describes the process of making a box frame window. Need to replace a couple in my house and not to sure of the process.

Have not been on the site for a while (or in the workshop come to think of it) but good to see it is still going strong. Well done everyone.

Just my 2p worth and im looking forward to what others say on the subject but if you are going to replace the windows you will have to use k or solar glass . In my experience these new double glazing units mean the weights you need to use can be too big for the box sash window to run properly .
My next job is to build a box sash and i've chosen to use spirals or springs so in effect getting rid of the box out of box sash and just making a frame . Although i will need to make the sides of the box to take up the rebate in the brickwork .

I thought you had to replace with D/G under the new regs ?

I agree with Mr_Grimsdale, take the old one out like I did, the wife wasn't to happy with me she came home to see a great big gapping hole but I just copied the way it was constructed. They are quite basic really, I remade the sashes & fitted 3mm glass but in the end they were to heavy for the weights so I bought some make weights & added these to the old weights, they work fine.

atb

Larky

You may agree with Mr Grimsdale but the local council wouldnt :lol:

The problem is, if I replace it with DG its going to look slightly odd as all the other windows wont be so surely it will look different. I did think about taking it out but I cant see my wife being happy with a gaping hole in my daughters bedroom for a couple of weeks whilst I get round to making it!

Conversely, if the house is in a conservation area, even though it's not listed, the local council may actually insist that replacement is exactly as the original - i.e. single glazed in a like for like repair.
English heritage's view seems to be that whether its a conservation area, a listed building, or just a nice old victorian window, it is impossible to build a double glazed replacement without ruining the shape and proportions. Well made secondary glazing can be fitted to help with the insulation in such areas.
I would go ahead and repair, not that I would know where to get suitable wood these days for another 100 years of our weather.

Kev , i made a box sash window today and took loads of photos for you as i made the parts and put them together . Then i dropped my camera phone when i got home and lost all the pics :evil:

It looks like it saved a few pics so i hope these help .
09112006274.jpg

09112006276.jpg

09112006278.jpg

09112006279.jpg

09112006280.jpg

Thats how i do them anyway . Im not saying its the right way its just taken from ones i have taken apart . Im using spirals on these windows so there is no pulleys or need to put a piece of ply in the box from the head to stop the weights knocking .

JFC, thanks for the photos, they are really useful although sorry about your phone. Will let you know how I get on. Good quality pictures from a phone btw.

Back