Box Dimensions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveshj

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm pretty new on here so be gentle!

I have been commissioned (SWMBO) to make a jewelry box for a forthcoming birthday. I have been looking around the forum and web for ideas and have a basic design in my head.

My question; is there be a dimension ratio (width to height to depth) which "looks right"?

I have done a few sketches none of which seem right.

Cheers

Steve

Google golden ratio.

Or thirds works well its used in most classical architecture eg length 1 depth 2/3 height 1/3 lid to box ratio 1/6 or multiples thereof.

Pete

There are lots of permutations such as the one that Pete suggests. Another is that in a rectangle, the length should be 1.62 x the width.
However all of these are pretty subjective and it really comes down to what looks right for you. I would be inclined to have a look at a few box makers sites as a lot of them will post dimensions and see what strikes you.
As a start try: a
Andrew Crawford
Peter Lloyd
Ian Hawthorne
David Lindley
The sites may be under a different title so google the name along with wood boxes.

Personally, i always use 3x2x1 as a starting point, length, width, height. They normally also start at 300mm x 200mm x 100mm (sometimes 115mm), (12"x 8"x 4" (4 1/2")) but it isn't an exact science, because I adjust some of the dimensions to avoid or include features in the wood that I have, or the amount of wood that I have.

I often use folded office paper to mock up something and see what it looks like. I dont know whether you have ISO A4 paper, but my footprint is the same as that, give or take. Alternatively, like has been suggested have a look online at what is available and use the dimensions of that. Ian Hawthorne's site is particularly good, because it gives the sizes.

For the lid, on a 4" to 4 1/2" tall box, I cut the lid so that it leaves 1 3/4" from the top surface of the lid. I did work out using golden ratios and all sorts, but in the end i looked at where the box looked like it should split and that is what it ended up as. The number has stuck in my mind since.

One tip i will give you is to make the sides nice and thin- somewhere around 12-15mm (1/2" to 5/8") on a box 300x200x100mm looks about right- not too heavy or too delicate (in my opinion)

+1 for 12mm sides - makes it easy to construct ply panels when veneering! Just remember to check the depth of your preferred hinges however - it is soul destroying to make a 12mm box and then find your hinges are 15mm deep (DAMHIKT!)

Steve

If you are using through dovetails work out the height you want, then work out on paper where the dovetails will come - this will govern where the lid is taken off, or work out the height of the lid then try to get your dovetails to suit. The first option is easier.

Once you think you have a good answer, you could make a mock-up in cardboard (just adapt a bigger box, cereal packet etc). This can then be put in place on the dressing table or wherever the real thing will go, and looked at from all angles. This is much clearer than trying to assess a paper drawing.

The commonest beginner's mistake is to make the sides too thick - you will need a source of thin wood or (better) a way to plane it to the size you need.

AndyT":12pdu4hc said:
The commonest beginner's mistake is to make the sides too thick

Agreed - although this "beginner's mistake" tends to persist 5-10 years. It's especially prevalent in tables and book cases, where people overcompensate for the cheapness and rubbish materials of commercial items, and use "plenty" of real wood.

The result is often heavy (literally and visually) and ugly.

Take a look at 1930's oak items for a counter example. The stock thickness is quite thin, but the pieces are sturdy.

BugBear

Thanks Lads,

Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm still unsure!

I did the golden ratio thing and well, the box looked flatter than I had imagined (in my head).

Marcros gave me the solution, some origami with newspaper, which after a few attempts has given me what looks OK (to me!) just need SWMBO approval now.

I will keep you informed.

Thanks again!

Steve

Steveshj":5ik7k7m2 said:
Thanks Lads,

Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm still unsure!

I did the golden ratio thing and well, the box looked flatter than I had imagined (in my head).

Marcros gave me the solution, some origami with newspaper, which after a few attempts has given me what looks OK (to me!) just need SWMBO approval now.

I will keep you informed.

Thanks again!

Steve

What dimensions did you come up with out of interest?

Hi,

The size will be 350 x 250 x 175mm (w x d x h)

This is a bit bigger than I had originally intended, but it has been approved and a space already allocated on top of a chest of drawers!

So best get on with it!

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Steve

Latest posts

Back