Bowl of Dark Surprises

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetoids

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Needed to excersise my artistic side so created this little piece:

Used to be Sycamore ( :lol: ), 120mmx40mm, textured with skew, wire brush, stained and acrylic gold, marble.

PB1.jpg

PB.jpg

All comments welcome.

Lee. :)

Like the bowl not sure about the stone or whatever it is.

I think the piece would stand very well on its own.

john

Interesting if somewhat neolithic or Pictish in style. Not sure about the tennis ball. Looks like you had fun making it and I'm sure someone would come along and buy it.

Cool! like the bowl, texture, colour. Dont understand the ball thing yet.

For my aesthetic the bottom is far too wide. Sell more stuff (!) and save up for some small jaws or use a waste block and/or reverse turn to finish.

Hi,

It clearly states it's a 'marble', not a ball, thingy or tennis ball!

It looks very different in real life as the marble is perlescent on the surface.

I'm not really interested if you get it or not, it's not something you get really!

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi Lee

I like the texturing on this as it is not "perfect". Quite often beads/concentric rings are turned very precisely. While I like this in it's own right I enjoy seeing the spontaneity in a piece which has more character within the texturing such as this, and the natural character.

Have you thought about perhaps making the top so that it slops in slightly to the inner bowl. This would lead the eye down to the direction of the marble.

Or you could produce a nice concave slope to connect with the outside form flowing the other way ( if you get my meaning :?, I understand me anyway).

In relation to the base of the form. Yes you could make it a bit smaller and flow it under, but it all depends where the piece is to be viewed from. IE if the piece is to sit low then it will only be viewed from the top.

It all comes down to personal preference.

For the short time you have been turning you are doing well, keep making.

Is the marble fixed in place?

If you made a matching lid with a hole in it, and glued it on, the join should be easy to hide amid the texturing. You'd have a captive marble, which I find rather appealing.

Al

Hi Mark,

Thanks for commenting. I think you mean a convex curve perhaps, so yes I do know what you mean. :)

Al, the marble is just loose, not a bad idea about the lid.

Cheers,

Lee.

skeetoids":1ama76w5 said:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for commenting. I think you mean a convex curve perhaps, so yes I do know what you mean. :)

Al, the marble is just loose, not a bad idea about the lid.

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi Lee

No I mean a concave curve. IE take a shallow concave curve and angle it down in slightly toward the bowl section.

But either will do. :D

Ok Mark, that makes sense now.

I have made a bowl excatly as you describe before so I may give it a try with this texturing.

I really like this texture and may do another couple of bowls in different colours.

So, I can have a play with different rim styles and bowl shapes etc.

Cheers,

Lee.

Latest posts

Back