Bosch GCM 10 SD mitre saw problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benpointer

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

bought one of these from Axminster on Friday... Set it up on Saturday... first cut fine, second use blew the trip and the solenoid that operates the blade guard lock is now refusing to work and the saw trips the ring circuit every 3 or 4 times is start the blade. Also strong smell of sparking - reminded me of the dodgems! Obv not safe or practical to use...

So, I phoned Axminster but apparently Bosch do their own repair/replacement service so have to phone them on Monday :cry:

Funny thing is, I had a long talk with the very helpful guys at Axi about the pros and cons of the Bosch versus Makita & DeWalt and he mentioned the solonoid that moves the Bosch blade guard as 'something some people see as another thing to wrong' - spooky!

Anyway, aside from the frustration of not being able to make lots of sawdust this w/e, I guess it will give Bosch a chance to impress me with their aftersales service, eh? :?

Question I have is... has anyone else got one of these and if so - any issues with the blade guard solenoid or blowing trips?

Cheers

I have used Bosch's repair service a few times, in and out of warranty. They're pretty good. You'll have a Fedex guy with you pretty quickly and it'll be back with you very quickly.

BUT, I would have expected Axminster to have taken charge of a DOA saw? Did you buy it from the store or mail order?

I bought it from the store. When I phoned Axminster, the lady on the phone was helpful but pretty clear I needed to use the Bosch service. I'll see how it goes...

... One issue I have is that I destroyed the box and most of the packing getting the saw out - it's a bit of a beast and I am a wheelchair user so the only way I could get it out was to carefully cut the sides off the box. I see the returns service suggests it needs to be boxed - well that's not going to happen. But given it's meant to be a portable saw (!) with two big carry handles once it locked in the down position I figure it should be ok. I'll see what Bosch say tomorrow.

Benpointer":bk4wwt4t said:
I bought it from the store. When I phoned Axminster, the lady on the phone was helpful but pretty clear I needed to use the Bosch service. I'll see how it goes...

... One issue I have is that I destroyed the box and most of the packing getting the saw out - it's a bit of a beast and I am a wheelchair user so the only way I could get it out was to carefully cut the sides off the box. I see the returns service suggests it needs to be boxed - well that's not going to happen. But given it's meant to be a portable saw (!) with two big carry handles once it locked in the down position I figure it should be ok. I'll see what Bosch say tomorrow.

Yes, I had to palletise my Hitachi (a cool 32kg) 12" mitre saw recently to send it back to them. Again, they wanted a box, I said, not a chance. I am still very surprised with Axminster on that one. That's not on really. You bought it, and you're going to have to spend time without it now...doesn't seem right. I expect if you pushed it, and gave them the whole, warranty is with the retailer not the manufacturer spiel they'd let you have another one.

If you bought it from Axminster then the contract is with them and it's their responsibility whatever they might tell you. However, If it is practical to deal with Bosch directly it may be easier. I had a cordless drill gearbox break 1 week inside the 3 year warranty and they fixed it no problem. Having said that your went wrong in a couple of days. I would not expect to pay postage charges etc. inside that time.

porker":3hfxw6j4 said:
If you bought it from Axminster then the contract is with them and it's their responsibility whatever they might tell you. However, If it is practical to deal with Bosch directly it may be easier. I had a cordless drill gearbox break 1 week inside the 3 year warranty and they fixed it no problem. Having said that your went wrong in a couple of days. I would not expect to pay postage charges etc. inside that time.

There won't be any postage charges, but I don't know if Fedex will be even slightly interested in collecting without a box. Hitachi normally use Fedex too I believe, they had to send Palletways for mine due to it being on a pallet - I'd long since chucked the box.

I'd have said, in this instance, it's easier to force Axminster's hand - they're normally pretty good aren't they. Did you explain the wheelchair user part to them?

Thanks for the advice. I reflected on it and decided to call Axminster again this morning. They have offered to collect the saw tomorrow and send a replacement, which feels about right given their good reputation for customer service. So, I am hoping I will have a new saw for the weekend :)

Thanks

Back