Bootsale: Spring has sprung.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard T

Established Member
Reaction score
Great turn out this morning with more than a few tool sellers.

DSCN1031s_zps4bc5fed8.jpg

Some Starrett calipers with 1901 date and the fine tuning knob along with two pairs of Moore & Wright hooferdoofers. All £3 each.

DSCN1033s_zps181db543.jpg

An odd 'perfect' type screw driver but with a strangely forged blade and an awful double marking gauge but it will come in until I can resurrect an old rosewood one (thread of its own soon)

DSCN1030s_zpsed007f1e.jpg

And this pair of planes; an old Stanley #4 - 1/2 and a Marples #3.
I've never had a Marples before and I love the bevel grinding instructions and gauge...

DSCN1035s_zps06069a83.jpg

... which the previous owner seems to have taken to heart.

DSCN1036s_zpsc81e720d.jpg

Hi, Rich T

Very nice, like the Marples No3.

I went as well today (must have been the sunshine yesterday)
Came back with a Record No5 Stay set with rosewood handles and lots of rust for £10
A Record No778 in very nice condition and complete for £20 a Trojan brass backed saw for £1 and a huge ELWELL axe head for 50p

DSC_1483.JPG

DSC_1484.JPG

DSC_1493.JPG

DSC_1485.JPG

DSC_1486-001.JPG

Pete

Attachments

• DSC_1483.JPG
    DSC_1483.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 2,259
  • DSC_1484.JPG
    DSC_1484.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 2,259
  • DSC_1493.JPG
    DSC_1493.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 2,259
  • DSC_1485.JPG
    DSC_1485.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 2,259
  • DSC_1486-001.JPG
    DSC_1486-001.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 2,259
I had a good haul at our local boot today (sorry no pics, camera batteries flat). A hand mitre saw for £5, a small marking gauge by Mawhood of Sheffield with an ebony and brass square by Tyzac £3. Plus two wooden rebate planes one 1,1/2" by Sims of London (taken over 1834), and an 1,1/4" by George Buck of Googe St, London, for £1.50 each

'An odd 'perfect' type screw driver but with a strangely forged blade'

Richard, I have a few screwdrivers like yours in different sizes, somebody told me they were part of a standard tool kit in expensive cars up until the 1950's.

Love the calipers and dividers Richard, I'm a sucker for M&W dividers too...

Got this lot last week:

8C2BFABA-17C0-41D0-8AE9-C50427760A39-541-000000553118C45D.jpg

M&W dividers and Picado protractor - £3
And Doris bought the pair of Sorby gouges for £1

And this week:

E8F580DD-9454-401D-8F83-45F47DB7F4F3-541-000000554B8B18D1.jpg

2x tap wrenches
2x die stocks
vee block
3/4" drill bit
12" rule*
Combination oil stone
Coarse slip stone

... all for a tenner. And Doris bought the gouge for 50p.

*the 12" rule turned out to be a wrong'un. When I got home I realised that only one edge is graduated in "standard" inches; the other three edges are calibrated for metal contraction. I think I'll put it on a high shelf, it's a bit of a loose cannon to have floating around the shed!

Does anyone know of a good car boot in the St. Albans area - don't mind driving about 45 mins either direction?

Ah, Marples planes - maybe the next big thing once Preston becomes too expensive for ordinary people?

Richard, I think you may need to change your user picture to fit in with the adverts - this is from a rather nice 1938 Marples Catalogue I bought recently - who could resist such a persuasive image?

IMG_2020_zpseb0df1e1.jpg

This page shows the bench planes - only 14 to collect:

IMG_2021_zpsdf8578d9.jpg

though the ploughs, rebates and routers bump it up a bit:

IMG_2022_zps4c51d073.jpg

IMG_2023_zps697d92b9.jpg

And here's confirmation of that nice angle indicator:

IMG_2024_zps2dffd28a.jpg

IMG_2025_zps3998bcb4.jpg

It's quite amazing when I think about it that a very few people over two weekends have amassed a haul of tools worth several hundreds of pounds for pounds in single figures.

That Record Pete - I'm sure I read that Rosewood handles mean pre 1939. I hope it cleans up ok.

t8hants wrote "an ebony and brass square by Tyzac £3. Plus two wooden rebate planes one 1,1/2" by Sims of London (taken over 1834), and an 1,1/4" by George Buck of Googe St, London, for £1.50 each"

:shock: Blimey ... can you charge you camera batteries? :) George Buck of Googe Street ...

The engineering stuff may be the best value I get Dave, I got a M&W protractor and square a while back and have been using them constantly since. Though |I'm still looking for a tap wrench big enough to take my 5/8" acme tap. I can only just fit the 1/2" tap ..

Interesting idea about the screwdriver MrPS, I wonder. It's been sharpened chisel fashion in the past unfortunately.

Andy - I've got one Marples plane ... a change of picture might be pushing it a bit - though the bloke on the cover does appear to be having a bit of a 'Phwoorrr!' moment. What a beautiful catalogue.

Hi, Rich

The body had a good clean up and a spray with Wilcows enamel, the original finish was knackered, the frog needs a spray as well.
The blade and sole and sides will need a lot of work, and I need to repair the chip out of the tote.
I was thinking about the same date for it, I have a record No5 with a beech tote and rosewood knob, I guess they where using up the leftovers.

Pete

Richard T":3aila6np said:
- I'm sure I read that Rosewood handles mean pre 1939...
I think that should read "pre-1939 means Rosewood handles". I've also got rosewood handles on ~25% of my "warfinish" (type #2 lateral), and a sprinkling of post-war (type #3 lateral - 1945-52) Records.

As Petes suggests, I think they were using up leftover stock. Maybe every now and then the barrel of handles got low and the rosewood handles at the bottom were exposed #-o .

Cheers, Vann.

phil.p":kjpvnpff said:
memzey":kjpvnpff said:
Does anyone know of a good car boot in the St. Albans area - don't mind driving about 45 mins either direction?

:) So. You buy something worth £20 for £5. Great, you've made £15!........then you put £15 of petrol in the car.......How does that work, then?

It's a bit of a laugh isn't it? :)

Anyway you have dodged the wife for the morning and come back with some tools - jobs a good'un in my book.

Quite right memzey - and besides, you might buy two £20 planes for £10 :)

Welcome to the forum btw. I think the emoticons kick in with more than three posts.

Vann - I had a Record #5 'warfinish' a while ago and that's when I was reading about the handles business. Mine, conveniently had Beech handles which fitted with the information... you live and learn.

Spring's a time for getting rid of rubbish in my book, not getting more. Just been dismayed looking round the workshop today. Have to do a boot sale of my own!

Phil, I know mate. Its hard parting with some of this stuff, but the only one who'll be laughing will be me, when, if I so desired, I could swing next doors cat round in the workshop! Ahhhhh.....space to work in!!

This was the sum total of this weeks bootsale venture for me; funny how you don't see something for ages then all of a sudden they're everywhere (one's already dismantled for derusting).

002-20_zps61c01f05.jpg

The bootsale was overshadowed by a new arrival on Sunday though... here's a clue, I'll do a separate thread this week

7b17764a-54ac-4f38-aff7-84b907f6e11e_zps5fb6b14a.jpg

I'm massively looking forwards to my first boot sale of the season this Sunday, for all the above mentioned reasons!

Back