Boot sale saw set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard T

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally got round to getting last Sundays boot sale booty photographed and what not.

This Trojan saw set is missing its top bolt but I've never seen one like it before. The pin is a wedge shape so the width of the bit doing the pushing can be adjusted as well as the distance pushed. I bought it from John (of John's Junk) who said "that's an old 'un that is, the old type"

Has anyone seen one/ used one / got one?

DSC00032-1.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00035-2.jpg

The above picture shows the hole through which the missing wing bolt should go.

Other nice toys were:

DSC00028-1.jpg

The saw set, three files, a vertical milling slide (that needs some major work to fit my lathe)
a tool maker's clamp and a Record mitre clamp. I think that's pretty good - even if I did exceed Jimi's limit by £10 :)

Sawsets!

Second only to planes in the range of wonderful, ingenious designs. There must have been a period in the nineteenth century when nobody ever set a saw without thinking "I've got an idea for a better way to do that."

This site - http://members.acmenet.net/~con12a/ - starts to document them, but without showing the Trojan design.

That's a cool sawset there Richard! I bet Pedder would know something about it.

The vertical slide is a major find....!! Bravo!

Should you find it is too difficult to adapt to your lathe...I may have a home for it! :mrgreen: :wink:

Jimi

I don't know the best thing to do with it Jim - it is missing the bit that bolts to the cross slide.
You know how the expensive ones that can pivot horizontally are? Well this one apparently pivoted on the vertical plane and I can't find any evidence of another like it anywhere on the interweb.

I thought it would be a no - brainer at £25 and I'd soon be able to find what's missing ..... #-o I may end up drilling and tapping holes in the end and just putting a straight plate on with slots for the bolts so it's a permanent right angle.

Just when you thought it was safe to go out... now they're collecting saw sets. Good grief, what next.
Actually, I have one on watch on eBay at the mo'... just in case I buy the Disston that will surely need setting? Hand planes... old hat mate. Time to move on.

Richard,

looking again at that sawset, I'd say it could be a copy of a Morrill's No 1 which the website says is the most widely copied design made:

Morrillfirst1s.jpg

Well Douglas, that makes mine a collection of two. I have a nice old Eclipse that I have used the most and I did have a more recent one I gave to someone. This one I thought might be more adaptable to smaller dentistry.

I'll get some pictures of the bit in question for you Jim. There is no maker's name on it - the only marks are those numbers on the face.

That's spot on Andy. When I have found a bolt to fit I'll give it a go and report.

Oh Good, if everybody is moving on to saw sets that means the price of planes will go down and there will be less competition in the field, so I might have more success at the totally unrealistic price I want to pay for them.

Gareth

Hi Richard , same as the very first saw set that I acquired in a kit of old tools :wink:
Come to think of it this must have been my first ever "GLOATIUS PURCHIUS" as all the kit I was buying for work at the time was otherwise new from the CO-OP hardware department that was closing down :cry:

Just as an aside Richard would you please pass on my best wishes to John next time you see him as I missed him at Astwood Bank and he was not well enough to attend Hollowell Steam Show.... Will he know who you mean? Not sure :? as he probably doesn't even know my name #-o Just say its the tall lanky chap who gave him the 3 scythe sneads (handles) at Hollowell last year :roll: :lol:

Cheers
Andy

Andy I certainly will. I will mention"t he tall lanky chap who gave him the 3 scythe sneads (handles) at Hollowell last year" I'm sure he will remember - no really. That's got to be rare.

Jim, here is the other side of that slide.

DSC00037-2.jpg

Looks like the last owner didn't have the other bit either as they bolted a piece of angle to the one available hole.

DSC00039-2.jpg

I'm guessing that hole was for a locking slide. ??? Anyway, I will ring my engineering buddy up today and consult the oracle.

My Lord! That's strange!

You can of course unscrew that bottom bit (the two countersunk screws) and mount to the cross-slide using a right angle support. Or am I looking at it wrong?

Jim

'Fraid not Jim. That bottom bit is a solid piece - the back half of the slide. It must have had another piece that was the other half of this hinge and including the bolt slots.
Any way I have raised my buddy who is coming round to take a shuftie at it.

Still waiting ... :roll:
I meant to say earlier that the same guy I bought the slide from had two M&W chests of drawer; one £60 the other £100. Dang these people who know something about what stuff's worth.
It was a very good market all together. Elsewhere on the site was a real,full size, bono fidy Darlek. I didn't ask.

Richard T":79c588vv said:
It was a very good market all together. Elsewhere on the site was a real, full size, bono fidy Darlek. I didn't ask.
Define "real" Richard. Did it keep repeating "exterminate" and zapping anybody who came close? :lol:

Cheers, Vann.

Back