Books: Quality furniture projects using hand tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

togster

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my first ever post, so please be gentle with me!

I wonder if anyone has recommendations for books on quality furniture projects to build using hand tools? I can find plenty of books on hand tools themselves and a few books on basic projects (using PAR pine and the like) using hand tools - but this isn't what I'm after.

I have seen the odd article in Fine Woodworking on projects using hand tools (typically Shaker projects) over the years but have yet to see a compendium book on the topic. Any ideas? I thought that it would be the kind of thing the Fine Woodworking series would have produced but I have searched in vain so far. Any pointers gratefully received.

Welcome Togster!

Hmm. I'm not aware of any books by any publisher per se. Though I have tried to talk Chris Schwarz into a concept for one (done by someone other than me...). But that book, while it would be a nice piece of furniture, would be more a book on how to utilize most hand tool concepts using a slightly larger than basic kit. That is something anyone can do with a little bit of questioning here and legwork to see what tools would be needed.

For myself, I find inspiration from photographs or books of a given period's furniture. It doesn't matter that they may be power tool-centric, really. I'll still use the hand tools I desire on it.

But that's the rub. I already know how to use them and how to "translate" a power tool method into hand tool usage. And that includes any necessary design changes. For instance, a piece of molding is going to be made with one of my molding planes and or the hollows and rounds and that may mean alterations int he carcass, top or other piece.

What I would suggest if no one comes up with a book title, is to grab any project that strikes your fancy and determine what hand tools would be needed to make it. Pick a project that you already have the tools to use, or that picking up and learning another tool isn't going to be too costly in time and materials.

A couple books which are, to me, very useful in helping others and myself are George Ellis' Modern Practical Joinery, and Wells & Hooper's Modern Cabinet Work. The Well's book does have some instances of how to make certain aspects. Both are dated, but the concepts are solid.

It would be helpful if you mentioned the style and type of furniture you desire to make. We can help you get from a power tool version of a book's project to using hand tools and their methods.

Take care, Mike

Welcome to the forum, Togster. Great advice from Mike. Any questions - just post them here, there are plenty of people willing to help.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Tog,

It's not a book of projects, but I can recommend Peter Korn's Woodworking Basics
In the first half of the book he walks you through the essential handtools (and power tools) and how to use them, followed by basic techniques such as squaring timber, cutting mortise and tenon joinery, and dovetails. Again, he provides instruction for both hand and power tools.

Second part of the book is two step-by-step projects: a small seating bench, and a bedside table/cupboard. Both are Shaker-ish in style. Although many of the steps given in the project sections are for power tools only, since he's already given you the handtool techniques in the first half of the book, it's easy to translate, and refer back if necessary.

Pete

I have one that you should be able to find that would help. The Stanley Book Of Woodworking Tools Techniques And Projects. The whole premise of the book is hand tool stuff, and it starts with explaining different tools what they are for what you do with them and then he gives you a shopping list, in two parts, ie essential tools, and the sort you might want to get later when your experience grows. Oh the author is Mark Finney.

Obviously you can take the reccomendaions to buy Stanley tools with a grain of salt, but the techniques are explained for the hand tool user including dovetails, mortise and tenon joints and even rasied panels. The projects follow a logical sequence each building on the previous and each featuring one or two specific techniques.

Another one to hunt down would be Mike Dunbars Federal Furniture (ie Georgian) which details hand tool work, though he assumes a basic knowledge of the tool s and techniques. It is out of print I believe but may be available from Ebay.

James

Wow! What a fantastic bunch of replies - thank you very much indeed. These suggestions will come in very helpful, thank you. Mike has suggested that I should give an idea of my preferred styles and it struck me that it might be helpful to specify a bit more of "where I'm coming from" as it were in case this helps with any further advice.

I am entirely self-taught, having received only a basic introduction to woodworking at school over 20 years ago. I was always handy with tools but in a strictly DIY, not craftsman, fashion. My real advances came when I discovered Norm Abram's New Yankee Workshop (I hope mentioning this isn't about to see me ejected from this forum!). Learning from Norm I kitted myself up with the skills and power tools to build a bunch of furniture that I'm very proud of. Certainly not master craftsman level but very rewarding for me and impressive for my family. The style of these pieces is very clean lines and light woods (maple, sycamore, European beech) with adornment from details like crisp parallel (offset) edges, subtle wood contrasts or the addition of ripple sycamore on some drawer fronts etc. So certainly towards the Shaker rather than Regency end of the spectrum. I do like the American 'Mission' style of furniture but I've never been brave enough to venture into that level of detailing yet - plus my wife wouldn't give it a home so very little point: I only make things for my own pleasure.

However, I have since become pretty turned-off by the whole power tool approach and particularly the whole sealed workshop (residential area)/ear defenders/goggles/mask routine. But the problem I find myself with now is that when I envisage a project in my mind I instantly think through the construction details in power-tool techniques, not hand-tool techniques. After seeing Rob Cosman's dvds (what's the general view on Rob in this forum by the way?) and reading the odd articles in Fine Woodworking I am confident that I have the ability to self-teach and embrace the hand tool route but I need to re-educate myself to think through construction details in entirely hand-tool terms - and thus the tools this would imply I need to add to my kit.

So the background to the book request was for a work-through of a few projects that I could see myself building in order to re-programme my thought processes for each step of the construction.

I hope this helps - and thanks again. Any more advice would be gratefully received on my path to re-education/enlightenment.

Hello Togster, welcome

After seeing Rob Cosman's dvds (what's the general view on Rob in this forum by the way?) and reading the odd articles in Fine Woodworking I am confident that I have the ability to self-teach and embrace the hand tool route but I need to re-educate myself to think through construction details in entirely hand-tool terms - and thus the tools this would imply I need to add to my kit.

I think you'll find that Rob Cosman is highly respected here.
As to the tools you need to add to your kit, regrettably just saying that was a mistake, you will now be dragged down the 'Slope' mercilessly,, get your ice axe ready :)

Dom

hi togster and welcome,

it would help to if you could put a location under you avatar, some times if a member lives near by they could offer some assistance.

woodbutcher.

I am probably repeating others here Togster:

I would think virtually any design you see, that is made with machinery, could also be made with hand-tools.

E.g. If you need to make a mortice and tenon, then do it with hand tools rather than a morticer or router.

Maybe what you really need is a cutting list, and/or a rod.

I feel I am blessed, because I can look at a few pictures of a project and as long as I know the sizes I need to work to, I can visualise a design. Also I mentally rehearse the methods I am going to use to make the joints. Then, away I go. (Okay, I might make the occasional note in a reporters' note book.)

If I need to measure something, it's usually just using the rule to dimension stock. Most measuring I do is by comparison with the job itself.
But that's me. Others get lots of satisfaction from carefully dawing up the design first. I enjoy dreaming it up in my mind, usually falling asleep at the same time! :D

Either way, how you cut the joints is up to you.
Welcome aboard and good luck with your tool collecting compulsion.
(You haven't got a compulsion?)
You will have! \:D/

Regards
John

Togster - welcome to the forum. Much good advice has already been given and I would emphasize that any (just about) project can be built using just hand tools.......it's just that the power tool approach will save time and a vast amount of effort, but will not detract from the more enjoyable aspects of fine work at the bench. Interestingly, you find yourself in the same position as Sidney Barnsley a century ago. Might be worth doing a bit of a Google search to see the sort of stuff he turned out in oak :shock: entirely by hand - Rob

Latest posts

Back