Book Review?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just been rereading Alan Peter's book and came across a reference to Franz Karg's "Modern Cabinet Making in Solid Wood." Has anyone read this, and if so, is it any good?

Joel

This book is a Taunton Press translation of a German book that came out about 20 years ago and somebody gave me a copy about then.

The designs are quite dated and the text is a little short of detail though a competent cabinet maker should be able to work it out.

The designs are made mainly in softwood, larch, birch and the like which are probably commonplace in the Fatherland, but you could easily translate them into hardwood.

A step-by- step book it ain't, more for inspiration if you are into post-Ikea modern......

Hi Joel,

I have a copy of this somewhere.
Got shoved into the attic when daughter came to stay. (The old story!)

I liked it. Some nice ideas and designs (a bit retro now), but as said, not a how-to, step-by-step kind of a book.

John :)

Thanks for the replies chaps. Doesn't sound like the sort of thing I hoped for - I thought perhaps it would show some imaginative ways of accommodating wood movement within non-traditional designs.

Joel

It's still available on Amazon, where there's a look-inside feature with a few pages that show what the layout of the book is like.

Latest posts

Back