Bolts on Internal Doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewm

Established Member
Reaction score
What is the norm for bolts on the second leaf of double internal doors? Just at the top or at the top and bottom? I now have a set installed see How Thick for a Door Frame and and one leaf is going to need locks fitted.

DSC_1044_01.jpg

The plan was to use flush bolts either on the edge of the door or on the face (on the other side to the picture). But, at the bottom there is only about 9mm of wood floor under the door before hitting the threshold and porcelain tiles so I may need to fall back onto using a surface mounted bolt which will not look a sleek.

Do I need bolts top and bottom? There is no security issue - but I want the locked leaf secure and not to rattle around as it will be closed most of the time.

Is there any other solution that I haven't found yet?

Andrew

Top and bottom for me too. You could always cut the bolt down if you needed it shorter.
It's not the length that is the problem but that as far as I can make out (although exact dimensions seem to be rather sparse) a the hole for a recessed bolt in the floor will be over the brass theshold strip with porcelain tiles on the others side. Only the first 9mm under the door is hardwood floor.

Tiled floots are always a bitbof an issue. Mark the brass threshold strip, take it off, centre punch then drill it. Mark the tiles then drill with a diamond tile drill. Depending on clearance it should be possible to get the steel(?) keeper either bonded to the underside of the threshold or plugged and screwed to/through the tile.

I think though, that a better solution would be to go for a self-cleaning or easy clean socket. However this will mean a bit more work getting it in neatly

Just to illustrate what I mean by the brass threshold strip. It is not the screw down type normally used on the edge of laminate floors.

DoorThreshold.png

There is about 9mm from the nearest face of the door for the bolt to operate.

Apologies. I should have cleaned the floor before taking the photograph.

Ive recently fitted to the top only on my sons internal French doors - the side thats rarely opened - no rattle when both shut from draughts or when the front door is open so try the top only and if you find you need one at the bottom fit it.
If aesthetically it looks wrong without a bolt on the bottom then fit it as usual and cut or remove the bolt portion which is what I ended up doing.

That's a tricky one. I have some pairs of doors in my house with flush bolts top and bottom, often I'm too lazy to bolt the bottom and it doesn't cause a problem, you might get away with just one in the top.

Will there be any kind of rebate between the doors or one of those pair maker things? Will the opening door latch in to the closed door?

That's a tricky one. I have some pairs of doors in my house with flush bolts top and bottom, often I'm too lazy to bolt the bottom and it doesn't cause a problem, you might get away with just one in the top.

Will there be any kind of rebate between the doors or one of those pair maker things? Will the opening door latch in to the closed door?
No rebate - just a gap between the doors. And yes, the opening door will latch in to the closed door. The expectation is that we will only use the opening door unless entertaining.

If you have rebated leading edges you often need the bottom bolt to reduce banging when the door is closed. If your doors have cold smoke seals fitted it is preferable to have a bottom bolt for the same reason. Double bolted leafs seem less prone to warping in changeable environments as well.

JWL Architectural Ironmongers have a nice recessed bolt in brass just over a tenner, the capture plate in brass fixes to your floor and you can cut the bolt length down if needed so you only need to go about 3/4 mm into the floor. not sure of the postage but might be worth a look.:)

Back