Bobbin Sanders revisitied

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooed

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, sorry I only ever seem to log in here when I'm looking to buy stuff. I do read a lot but never seem to have the time to leisurely post, to many work and family commitments :-(

Its that time of year where I'm sure most of us are doing bandsaw boxes for xmas gifts. I've got 30 boxes to do for jewellery boxes, all the same curved pattern, The outside inside is mainly convex (a tear drop shape) but I want to do the inside as an oval and don't want sand those by hand otherwise they will be presents for next year (btw several boxes are needed per present). In the past I'd have used a drum sander in my drill press but I've always thought that that is too much pressure on something designed to push down and don't want to start the new year with having to buy a new drill press.

It's not something I'd want to use often, but for me the major influence is consumables. After looking on here, the Triton, Scheppach or even rutlands models seem sufficient though I'm umming and erring towards the 2-3x the price Jet model simply for spare parts supply in case I end up using it a lot. The sleeve dimension for these seem fairly consistent, are they interchangeable? Even the cheapest sleeve, the triton ones are expensive for what is really less than a meter or sandpaper and I have a couple of kilometres of that.

Does anyone know any running costs or tried using different brand sleeves on different machines?

I have one of these: https://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-431537/sea ... 0wodqt0LwA and use it for exactly the purpose you want one for, the bobbin sleeves I get where I can, all sorts of suppliers available on e-bay and on line, they all seem to fit without any problems, never looked into running costs on any of my machines, I don't what the scare myself.

Mike

I bought the rutlands one a year or so ago. I don't use it that often but when I do it saves loads of hassle. I would certainly buy one if I had 30 boxes to do. It's got plenty of power works well. The only downside is that it's a bit noisy. For my usage it's ideal and if it died I'd by another one the same rather than a bigger more powerful model. There's not many of my tools that I'd say that about. I think I paid about £90 on one of the many rutlands deals. I think I bought a few extra bits to make it up to £100 and save the £5 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, the sealey one looks good, Rutlands do a similar one that was showing as sold out a couple of days ago. Having a belt would be handy, I have a disk sander but it can be tricky keeping to the left side of the disk and less chance of burning, I think I'll go with one of these.

That sealey one looks a good deal. I have a record bobbin sander, but was not aware of belt / bobbin combo machines when I bought it.

Just ordered the rutlands belt and bobbin sander. From what I could made out the Sealey, Rutlands and also the Clarke models are identical. I went for the one from rutlands as I've never had trouble returning stuff plus they did a hose kit. I also went crazy atnd got on of those latex block for cleaning belts, I've had mixed results with homemade affairs.

Thanks for the help folks.

This arrived yesterday and had a good play about with it. The bobbin aspect it of it is exactly as I expected/hoped and has been a godsend already, saved me a couple of days effort already, I may actually have everything finished in time. Apart from time saved actually sanding, it occurred to me I could use a spiral blade in the scroll saw, seeing as I didn't have to sand by hand and the spiral bits I've used, and have, leave a much rougher surface. I find spiral bits quicker to cut with as there is no hand twisting involved.

I'm still unsure if it wise to go with the belt sander version though for the extra £s. It would certainly better than my currently bench belt sander as you have table so ensured a 90 degree angle. The workpiece support is far too small, I went back to my disk sander for the convex curves as without the support it felt as if it was going to be ripped out of my hands*. I also have a few hexagonal boxes to do bigger than my disk sander that would just fit the belt, if only the support was adjustable but If sure I can clamp something to hold it in place. That a jig or two will sort things out.

mooed

Don't understand your post as the support table is adjustable on my Sealey version?

Mike

The table is adjustable so you can sand angled surfaces, but the tiny silver of metal (1.5 cm?) to stop the work piece flying to the right is far too short. Maybe I'm just not used it but it pulls very aggressively to be able to control a 6cm thick curved piece without having a point to lean against, it's impossible to always be in contact with the support rest. I just found it easier to use my disk sander as I just need to push down against the table as that is the direction of the disk.

Don't get me wrong this is fantastic and the Sealey looks the same machine under the hood, and I will get use of the belt sander for some stuff, just not as much as I thought.

I could also just be that my sanding muscles are feeling weak and confused by the fact it rotates to the right, my disk and belt sander goes to the left. I'll be using this some more tomorrow.

Back