Bobbin Sander - which one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJP

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to buy a bobbin sander with a tilting table.

I already have a few pieces of Triton gear with which I am happy so I thought that the Triton TSPS370 might fit the bill.

Unfortunately like many things it's out of stock in most places.

The alternative is the Axi Craft AC140OSS which about £100 more expensive. No idea if that is in stock, haven't checked.

Ignoring the matter of whether anything is in stock or not, is the Axi item £100 better than the Triton? - it's certainly a lot heavier.

What would you suggest for the best buy for a hobbyist tilting table bobbin sander?

And finally, anyone got one for sale?

Martin.

Hi Martin, Maybe check out e-bay or similar and consider a second hand Jet JBOS5 - we had virtually no issues with them & along with 5 spindles they were solid and well built machines. We sold loads so there may be some around 2nd hand possibly?

I have the Jet and it is a good solid bit of kit.
Nick & Laz - thanks both.
I rather discounted the Jet machine since I thought that they weren't easily found in the UK but it does look like a nice solid job so I'll do as suggested and keep an eye on ebay.

I assume that if I did buy one of these that I'd have no trouble finding replacement sanding sleeves?

Martin.

Hi Martin, Maybe check out e-bay or similar and consider a second hand Jet JBOS5 - we had virtually no issues with them & along with 5 spindles they were solid and well built machines. We sold loads so there may be some around 2nd hand possibly?

I bought a JBOS-5 from a member here (can't remember who), and it is much better than any of the other spindle sanders I found in Germany. The seller included extra spindles and so many extra sanding sleeves that I haven't come close to needing replacements.

I have looked into these sanders a while back and they fall into really two camps. The Triton, Rutlands and many other clones in one camp and the more expensive camp contains the Record BBS1 at £400 and the Axminster Craft AC140OSS at £300. They are both essentially the same machine, same power at 370 watts and both weigh roughly the same. Record comes with two sleeves, Axi with four sleeves. I also believe that the Record sleeves fit the Axi & vica versa.

I would look more at the Axi as it is cheaper & comes with four sleeves, 19,38,50 & 76 whilst Record only 20 & 50mm with the rest as extras.

I bought a JBOS-5 from a member here (can't remember who), and it is much better than any of the other spindle sanders I found in Germany. The seller included extra spindles and so many extra sanding sleeves that I haven't come close to needing replacements.

Thanks Mike.
This one is obviously the one to watch out for.
I'm going have to keep my impatience in control until I find one!
Martin.

I have looked into these sanders a while back and they fall into really two camps. The Triton, Rutlands and many other clones in one camp and the more expensive camp contains the Record BBS1 at £400 and the Axminster Craft AC140OSS at £300. They are both essentially the same machine, same power at 370 watts and both weigh roughly the same. Record comes with two sleeves, Axi with four sleeves. I also believe that the Record sleeves fit the Axi & vica versa.

I would look more at the Axi as it is cheaper & comes with four sleeves, 19,38,50 & 76 whilst Record only 20 & 50mm with the rest as extras.

Thanks Roy & Cabinetman.
I'm only a weekend warrior so I don't really want to spend more than I need to - I'd go for a good second-hand Jet since it sounds the biz but I'm reluctant to blow £300 or £400 on a new machine that will see very little use.
Martin.

I'm only a weekend warrior so I don't really want to spend more than I need to - I'd go for a good second-hand Jet since it sounds the biz but I'm reluctant to blow £300 or £400 on a new machine that will see very little use.
Thats a common problem, justifying the cost of tools when they are more biased towards pleasure woodworking, and the needs always seem to keep on coming.

Thats a common problem, justifying the cost of tools when they are more biased towards pleasure woodworking, and the needs always seem to keep on coming.
When I retired I wasted money buying woodworking "toys" that have seen little use Spec - I'm older and wiser now so I look for better value as regards cost vs likely useage.
We live and learn!
Martin.

This is the B/S that I bought from Rutland a couple of years ago when on offer for £100.00
Excellent machine, used often; not very heavy so easy to move around

This is the B/S that I bought from Rutland a couple of years ago when on offer for £100.00
That machine is also basicaly the same as Triton, Sheppach, SIP, Clarke, Wen, Fox, Vonhaus and I dare say others. Be interesting to see them all lined up and look at them to see what the differences are and also do an in depth comparison. It certainly looks like they all come from a single OEM.

I recently got the Scheppach version of it and it does an OK job. Much less fuss than the drums and suction table I had set up on the drill press. They do come in a number of brands and I did a good bit of research looking at reviews and video clips plus some prodding on shop shelves. I would say there is no difference between Triton and Scheppach from what I could see so do you want blue or orange. I just don't know about the cheaper offerings not having seen one in the flesh but you have to wonder where the profit margin comes from. It will do fine for the occasional use I will give it. If you intend heavy work every day then perhaps go a bit more heavy duty. Whatever you get you will need some dust extraction.
Regards
John

I had the Rutlands bobbin-only model although I must confess I bought it without fully understanding what it is intended for/good at, something I didn't actually need at the time. I sold it and bought the Triton belt and bobbin model. I use the belt much more than the bobbins and find I can often use one end or the other if needing to shape / smooth a curve. I don't know if the Triton works better in bobbin mode than the Rutlands or if I have just got better at using it; I suspect the former. It still doesn't get used very much.

Last year I bought a lathe, attached a ply offcut to a face plate, turned it to a circle and attached a sheet of sandpaper and that can do what the belt on the Triton does. I'm thinking now, for the rare occasion I need them, I can buy (or turn) my own bobbins, either buy sleeves or attach sandpaper and use those in my drill press.

Back