Bobbin Sander - which one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Triton bobbin sander is available on eBay at a discounted rate of around £200 I believe on FFX eBay page. I'm also eyeing one, I'd go for one that has the belt sanding attachment as well as it just makes the tool a whole lot more useful.

I had the Rutlands bobbin-only model although I must confess I bought it without fully understanding what it is intended for/good at, something I didn't actually need at the time. I sold it and bought the Triton belt and bobbin model. I use the belt much more than the bobbins and find I can often use one end or the other if needing to shape / smooth a curve. I don't know if the Triton works better in bobbin mode than the Rutlands or if I have just got better at using it; I suspect the former. It still doesn't get used very much.

Last year I bought a lathe, attached a ply offcut to a face plate, turned it to a circle and attached a sheet of sandpaper and that can do what the belt on the Triton does. I'm thinking now, for the rare occasion I need them, I can buy (or turn) my own bobbins, either buy sleeves or attach sandpaper and use those in my drill press.
Yeah I bought the Triton belt and bobbin last year and am pretty happy with it. It did force me to buy a decent shop vac to deal with the dust though.

Wandering around online looking for a tilting bobbin sander I came across this Triton model which I hadn't seen before:

https://www.toolstation.com/triton-tspst450-450w-oscillating-spindle-belt-sander/p36201
It's a tilting sander with belt and bobbin, so it fits the bill. Probably plastic bodied like all the cheap ones but for a hobbyist it should be fine.
Due for delivery tomorrow so I'll report back on my findings soon!

Martin.

Wandering around online looking for a tilting bobbin sander I came across this Triton model which I hadn't seen before:

https://www.toolstation.com/triton-tspst450-450w-oscillating-spindle-belt-sander/p36201
It's a tilting sander with belt and bobbin, so it fits the bill. Probably plastic bodied like all the cheap ones but for a hobbyist it should be fine.
Due for delivery tomorrow so I'll report back on my findings soon!

Martin.
as a result of this thread, mines also due for delivery tomorrow o_O:ROFLMAO:

I have noticed several youtubers using this or the same model just different branding and getting on fine with it as well as making money from their work so i figured it would be more than good enough for me plus its on sale.

I think the Triton bobin sander is the original from where most of the clones have come from, but will be interested in your feedback with the belt and bobbin as the reviews are mixed and although I need a belt sander I also require a bobin sander at times to make jigs so with both in one machine maybe its a solution. It is not easy to source decent machinery these days and it always seems to be a bit of a gamble, how many others are finding they tend to spend a lot more time searching and looking at spec's and reviews than they used to?

An excuse to visit Yandles?! Or add more to the order... never give up at the first item!

I would have liked the belt and bobbin model but for some reason they are not sold in Australia. I was kind of on the verge of getting one from the UK but the shipping and import tax killed that idea. Anyhow I have a belt and disc sander so its all covered.
Regards
John

Well mine arrived already, ordered midday yesterday, delivered 10am this morning from Toolstation, that's pretty good I'd say. I'll set it up this evening and let you know how it goes. It's bigger than I thought.

Well mine arrived already, ordered midday yesterday, delivered 10am this morning from Toolstation, that's pretty good I'd say. I'll set it up this evening and let you know how it goes. It's bigger than I thought.

S'not fair!
I ordered mine before you and mine hasn't arrived and it's 10pm.
Held up at customs on the England/Wales border no doubt.
Martin.

S'not fair!
I ordered mine before you and mine hasn't arrived and it's 10pm.
Held up at customs on the England/Wales border no doubt.
Martin.
That is rude, not good this customs business 😂 hope it arrives for you soon.

First impressions are it seems really good. Early days of course, only used it for about half an hour this evening. It comes out of the box pretty much ready to go, literally took less than 5 minutes to install everything. It is quite plasticy as some reviews say but it's sub £200 for a dual use tool so I didn't expect anything else, it's really fine for me. In one sense it's almost a bonus for me as I will be storing it away under a bench when not in use and it's nice and light to move around. The belt attachment was square and true 90 degrees to the table right out of the box which was great. The bobbin attachments for some reason are not sitting quite square so I need to tinker some more.

It's got plenty of power for what I'll use it for, I already sanded a bit of the end of my knuckle off on it this evening (really🙄). Well not that I'm intending it to sand my knuckles but you know what I mean.

Hope you get on well with yours when it arrives.

Well, mine arrived at Wednesday lunchtime - then life interrupted proceedings as usual.

Finally got it unpacked and assembled this morning - Friday - and had a brief play.

It's rather better than I'd expected - yes the main body is plastic, but the bits and pieces as they came out of the packaging were surprisingly hefty and the whole thing plants itself on the bench solidly.

I didn't check the alignment of spindle with base, I couldn't wait, I just dived in with a sanding job that had been waiting for the moment, and I was very pleased with the speed and the result.

And by golly, it really does generate a LOT of dust!

This item is very similar to the Machine Mart Clarke COEBS1, which is thirty quid more expensive.

Martin.

Happy as a sand boy.

Well, mine arrived at Wednesday lunchtime - then life interrupted proceedings as usual.

Finally got it unpacked and assembled this morning - Friday - and had a brief play.

It's rather better than I'd expected - yes the main body is plastic, but the bits and pieces as they came out of the packaging were surprisingly hefty and the whole thing plants itself on the bench solidly.

I didn't check the alignment of spindle with base, I couldn't wait, I just dived in with a sanding job that had been waiting for the moment, and I was very pleased with the speed and the result.

And by golly, it really does generate a LOT of dust!

This item is very similar to the Machine Mart Clarke COEBS1, which is thirty quid more expensive.

Martin.

Happy as a sand boy.
Nice! You definitely need it attached to an extractor, ive found the dust collection pretty good with my system, sucks most of it up.

Nice! You definitely need it attached to an extractor, ive found the dust collection pretty good with my system, sucks most of it up.

Hi Dan - yes, I've got a vac ready for the job, I was just too keen to play this morning to hook it up!
I'm glad to say that no fingertips were ground off during my trial - though that will happen soon enough no doubt, it's happened often enough in the past!

Martin.

I scooped up a Triton belt/bobbin jobbie a month or so back too and was a bit miffed to find they don’t supply a bobbin with it that matches the smallest sleeve and insert which it comes with but on the bright side, it uses the same size belts as my Makita belt sander. Not looking forward to buying more sleeves though, they do seem to be a bit pricey ,unless any of you know different?

If you keep the sleeves clean they will last a long time. Any old bit of rubber will do. Using bits of thick rubber mat at the moment but have also used the heel of an old welly.
Regards
John

Latest posts

Back