BMW Mini Idea for Toy Car - WIP - Plans Done - More Pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dimensions are 140mm Long x 75mm Wide and 65mm high.

I'll get the plans finalised asap and for those who have requested a copy of the plans, they will be FOC.

On the basis you help me to make any corrections to the plans which are needed. :)

Hi Toesy,
Very nice project you have there, I like the detail you have gone to with it.
I will grab some plans if there going :) my younger cousins will love a couple of these to play with.

Cheers
Mark

Looks great..one thing i would do is round the headlights to a curve to follow the front body work ..like the original car if that makes any sense.

Steve

rspsteve":d6723dn4 said:
Looks great..one thing i would do is round the headlights to a curve to follow the front body work ..like the original car if that makes any sense.

Steve

Your spot on there, I did put some sandpaper over the edge of my work area, which has a curve, and sanded down the behind of the front lights, which helped, I was just was a little impatient.

Had a little play with some new wheels today, they are 4 spoke and based on the JCW GP wheels. I've also made them bigger.

Top Picture are the original wheels, with the next two pictures being the NEW ones, what you think?

Attachments

• BMW MINI New Wheels Pic 1.JPG
    BMW MINI New Wheels Pic 1.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 456
  • BMW MINI New Wheels Pic 2.JPG
    BMW MINI New Wheels Pic 2.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 456
  • toesy BMW Mini Hot Rod FINAL 0.JPG
    toesy BMW Mini Hot Rod FINAL 0.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 456
I agree with Martin really like the 5 spoke wheels, did you buy them or make them? haven't seen ones like that

gilljc":2gez792r said:
I agree with Martin really like the 5 spoke wheels, did you buy them or make them? haven't seen ones like that

The Wheels are made by gluing two parts together, the outside edge, and then the main wheel. You cut out the spokes are (think that's what you call it) and then glue the smaller outside - best only described at The Tyre Area, insert into a drill, hold some sandpaper with a block, spin the drill and sand down to a smooth one piece wheel.

Vic Perrin":2gez792r said:
Excellent piece of work. How long does it take to make a model like that with so much detail

Hard to really say - I guess about 3 hours to cut / 1 hours to assemble. The wheels are the most time consuming.

Once you have cut the pieces, you start gluing it altogether, The main car body needs time for the glue to dry really before you start with the little bits. And then you have final sanding....

Just a message to those who want plans, I haven't forgotten you, I kinda went freehand making the final parts, so now need to draw them up and then print and cut to test.

I will get the plans across this week.

Brilliant piece of work toesy. The design and woodworking skills are both to a very high standard. Very well done.

When you get some spare time maybe you ought to consider offering a design service for your friend's vehicles :twisted:

Barry

Just an update, I have made the plans and please excuse the way they are put together, those who want a copy of the plans for you to make this toy car, please PM me your email address. I will PM those who have replied so far.

All I can ask in return is that you show us what you've made, and feedback anything you feel about the plans and final toy, so I can improve them.

I made another car yesterday and as this was for a good friend, I put their initials into the body of the car and painted underneath before assembling the car.

Attachments

• Mini toesy side.jpg
    Mini toesy side.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 530
  • Mini toesy front.jpg
    Mini toesy front.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 530
  • Mini toesy top.jpg
    Mini toesy top.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 530
It's a great looking car toesy although IMO I prefer the original without the initials.

Can I ask is this is the finished article or will you be adding a finish? A few coats of yacht varnish would give a high gloss honey coloured finish or maybe a satin varnish might be better? It would really bring out the grain.

I think at least 50% of me got into woodwork just to get to that last stage where you apply the finish and see whatever you've made come to life.

Barry

Hi Barry

When it comes to Varnishing etc, im really just starting out on that journey, your right it does need something to protect it.

To protect it, yes it'll certainly need that, but when you start to apply a finish it'll make the 'low viz' grain really pop and jump out to you . . . . bet you won't be able to resist a grin when you see what you've made :wink:

Personally, I think your cars would look great with just a high gloss finish.

I made 1/2 a dozen Christmas Sleighs for family members 2 years ago and used ordinary plain pine wood but added a wood stain and a couple of coats of varnish to give them a better antique finish.

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Kind regards

Barry

Back