Blue Spruce Toolworks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnimble

Established Member
Reaction score
This week I had a package droped off while I was at work. Having my dear mother answering the door was probably best for the postman, as I -- when glimpsing at the label -- would have snatched the box from him and ran to the shop to unwrap this much anticipated delivery. When I arived from work the box was proudly sitting on the living room table begging to be opened. With only a slight delay of taking some protective measures against harm from any potential drooling I opened the package and it containing boxes.

bluespruce_001.jpg

This all started some months ago when I contacted Dave Jeske of Blue Spruce Toolworks. Some emails went back and forth about wood selection, which tools and which sizes. I had requested a pair of custom draw boring pins that would fit the work I plan to do with them. To do both small and half blind draw boring, the tip diameter and taper need to be correct. Dave made a nice sketch and after aproval started production.

bluespruce_002.jpg

After carefully unpacking the tools I was truly amased at what Dave had managed to make. But not all is about how nice a tool looks, the most important thing is if they are up to the jobs they are inteded for. The machining is very well done, the handles are smooth and the right profile to have a good and controlled grip.

They are well balanced, the centre of gravity ranges from at the end of the small cove behind the ferule for the smallest to just at the end of the logo on the blade for the largest. With the centre of gravity a small amount in front of your fingers they really become extentions to your hands. When the centre of gravity is toward the bevel edge a chisel feels more heavy and has the tendency to dig in. When its really far away from the bevel edge a chisels, or any tool hand held tool, is hard to controll as it wants to tturn and flap 'bout in between your fingers.

bluespruce_003.jpg

As for back flatness, they are not flat but slightly concave, which is good. A surface which is even so slightly concave never registers in a stable way against a flat surface. Making honing and working with the tool more difficult to get repeatability. Thus far I've failed to measure the amount of concavity. When the chisels are put with only light and gentle force against my 10cm long presision reference block and held against a bright light, a very faint trace a light creeps trough. The light forms a nice arc starting at the bevel edge along its length to where the reference block ends. My smallest feeler gauge, which is just under 2 thou (and is a very dangerous tool DAMHIKT), does not fit between by far. The light creeping between two surfaces with that feeler gauge in between is far more that what shows with my Blue Spruce chisels.

:shock: :shock: :shock: =P~ =P~ =P~
=D> Congratulations on your new gloat, sorry
i mean tools. :lol:

Question is , " Will they ever make it into the workshop to be hit :shock: with a mallet " ?

Or will you keep them on the table :lol:

For un adulterated drooling sessions :lol:

Mmmm Drool :p :p :p

Call the police, there's a drive-by happening!!

I had to rub my eyes at least twice while looking at these pics. I'm afraid to say that they look so bloody beautiful!! The handles are stunning! Did you mention what species of wood they were? It's quite possible I missed it whilst blinded by all the toolographic images.

Gloating aside, I am sure they will serve you very well for the rest of your life and indeed become heirlooms.

waterhead37":1sv21c2v said:
More a ram raid than a drive by!

I have to agree with Chis here, not so much a drive-by as a pure, unadulterated 'in your face' gloat of almost Wakaesque proportions...still, nice haul :wink: - Rob

The wood is Dalbergia retusa / Mexican Cocobolo selected for colour and figure.

For the moment they will remain in the living room, nicely tugged away in a bed of sraw in ther boxes. As soon as I have made a tool cabinet (or it that display case :?: ) they go into the shop. The tool cabinet will probably the first project they'll get some extensive use.

tnimble":228orbz8 said:
The wood is Dalbergia retusa / Mexican Cocobolo selected for colour and figure.

For the moment they will remain in the living room, nicely tugged away in a bed of sraw in ther boxes. As soon as I have made a tool cabinet (or it that display case :?: ) they go into the shop. The tool cabinet will probably the first project they'll get some extensive use.

Why not get another set to hang on the wall in your living room :lol:

You know , take down the photo of your wedding :p and put them their :p :p
should meet with approval :oops:

Glad to see you wasted no time getting them into your Avatar!

I am sure you will be delighted with them, I've been very happy with mine so far.

Cheers, Ed

Lord Nibbo":2ytsnsz5 said:
Bloody gorgeous aint they :D :lol:

Please don't hit them with any mallets though, or I'll have to report you to the RSPCC :lol:
Yes they are LN.

Hitting them with a mallet? No problem there, if with the correct type of mallet and correct force.

woodbloke":2ytsnsz5 said:
I have to agree with Chis here, not so much a drive-by as a pure, unadulterated 'in your face' gloat of almost Wakaesque proportions...still, nice haul :wink: - Rob
Bettter putting up a post, then putting them in your avatar and have you guys bagging for pics and info for days ;) or popping them just visible for a tiny bit into each and every project photo, and let you piece it all together ;)

Lord Nibbo":3x10ef1g said:
Bloody gorgeous aint they :D :lol:

Please don't hit them with any mallets though, or I'll have to report you to the RSPCC :lol:

...which of course is the Royal Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Chisels - Rob

Back